Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
i tested the water again today. ammonia is still registering as .25, even though the LFS test came back negative. im going to do another water change just to be sure.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would definitely use the lr and skimmer. You will want both of them as an end result. I only do 10% water changes each week. 20% might be too much, unless you have a really heavy bio load. Just a thought.

Mike

Old 01-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt471
i tested the water again today. ammonia is still registering as .25, even though the LFS test came back negative. im going to do another water change just to be sure.
How old are your test kits? If you have a bad test kit this could be part of the problem.

IMO, LR and LS are your single best weapons against ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. "Nutrients" most people refer to are Phosphates and Nitrates (the hardest to remove naturally from teh system). Phosphates can add up from using frozen or low quality foods. Best exporter for those are living macro algaes. you mentioned adding them, this is good, as long as your livestock isn't going to just eat it on you. you can make a "fuge" in your sump by simply adding a shallow bucket with a couple inches of sand, then plant the macro algae in there and place a light with a timer above it. thats really all you need for a bare minum fuge. I tend to go with the KISS solutions. Look at my profile, I've got nothing more than whats listed and my system is very minimum maintenance.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
i do feed frozen food, and i have red slime so im guessing thats an indicator of phosphates- so im going to add the macro. i actually dont have a sump, so im going to put it in the display- do you think that freshwater planted tank tools would work on macro?

aqua c remora on its way soon... along with a new test kit!!! any reccommendations? ive heard good things about fastest and seachem!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com