Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will be slow going. Need to decide fowlr or reef still and a lot I need to het before I mess with it all.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

At that price they can move it

Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

One of my lfs wanted 1000 to deliver a 375 g needless to say no deal
Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea they only asked 100 to move it. So I'm all ok with that so I don't break it in the move. Lol
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

The fun part is going to be figuring out how everything work. So many wires. Going to be fun.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

So the new tank will be here tomorrow. Question. Right now it has 3 150w MH. And 4 90w something can't remember what he said the were. But each one looks like 2 bulbs if that helps. Was wondering how much of a dent this will make in my electric bill. Yea funny I think about that now. And if it would be worth me waiting a little longer on setting it up to upgrade to LEDs.

When I looked up the LEDs they all seem to be 150w and I would need 3 of them I figured plus some t5 as well. So wouldn't that all just be the same watts. Again. Just reading up on stuff have no real clue about the math of it all. And will want some SPS coral as well.

And how much live rock and sand should I plan on doing. Hear a lot of people saying thick Sand beds r great. How this is great and how thick is to much.

Was thinking of doing 4 good power heads will that be enough of a flow or do I need more. And what r sone good ones.

Hmmm. What else can I add to my 20 question list. Lol sorry bout all the questions.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Add up the total watts and look at your last electric bill. It should show what you pay per kilowatt hour. LEDs are about 3:1 in electric efficiency compared to MH. Not sure the ratio to florescent technology. MH grows SPS very well, but as I have posted, it has some serious drawbacks as well. Many people have tremendous luck with T5 and MH mixed. At the end of the day, if you have enough of the right kind of LEDs, you can grow most everything and not run a chiller. They will reduce your power bill by a considerable amount. But there are a lot of lousy LED fixtures out there, so do your research, or start with what you have and see how it works for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

We are talking about a 210g right?

I would think for the sort term the 150 mh will do ok but you will want to explore better lighting options. The 150mh will only penetrate the water so much. 250's would have been better. lol

But if you wanted t5's i would suggest at least a 12 bulb system to give you better coverage adn withindividual reflectors to get the most out of the lights.

As far as LED's, can't be much help there. people have ALOT of opinions and I havent sorted them all out yet.

For sand I used 250lbs of pool filter sand that cost about $4 for 50lbs and that gave my 125g a 5-6 inch sandbed. For you I would go to at least 300lbs of sand.
For rock I would want about 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per gallon, so youre looking at minimum 250 lbs of rock. I'd buy 250 lbs of base rock for about 2.5 a lb and then add about 50 klbs of live rock or maybe a bit less.

Hope that answered some of your questions.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes it is for the 210. Yea was kinda let down when he said only 150. The tank is 24in deep and I figured with the lighting I have if I keep the SPS around 12in or less deep should still be good. And was figuring about 300lb of and and 300-350 of rock. So looks like I was on track with that. So yea it answered a lot. Still have a million stuff running in my head. Trying to get it all straight before I ask to much and get overloaded with answers. Lol.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did like the 60'' sol super blue 5x model. But for 2765.00 kinda set me back a bit. Being how much sand and rock will be

And with getting base rock with some lr. Will that cause problems in the setting up and not be as good if I did all live? Kinda curios how that part of it works pros and cons.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com