So whats ur thoughts about my PH and bristle worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishqueen13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So if you read my intro you know that I just regained control of my 19gal SW tank, and put fish in there that I actually want... Got a few things I want your ideas on....

So PH... mine is 8.8 or higher (the chart only goes to 8.8 but it looks a little darker than that, its almost black) the LFS was only 8.2 so after 45min acclimation the fish are doing good its been 3 days, but I'm wondering if I should try to lower it and fight that up hill battle, or just leave it? It bothers me cause I have NEVER had issues with my PH its always ran around 8.2 - 8.4. My tap is only 7.6. And just some other info my FW tank is about 8.0.

Here's a touchy topic bristle worms.... So back in the day they were BAD, now after doing some reading people have decided they are GOOD.... I'm not so sure I believe this. I had a health Lg turbo snail that was the sole survivor of my carnivorous Velvet Damsel... Turbo snail was cleaning the side glass like normal one night and I noticed a few med. sized bristle worms (3 - 5inch) climbing on the glass near him, I was a little uneasy but didn't think they could actually kill him.... next morning I came out and they were INSIDE his shell and ate him from the inside out.... Good? I think not.... What can I do to get rid of them? I tried trapping them and that worked okay, but I'm thinking more of a long term solution such as a shrimp, crab... something??

So more tank info... 19gal bow front, about 15lbs of crushed coral mixed with about 5lbs live sand substrate. 20+lbs live rock, Over the back filter made for 40gal tank. So far in the tank I have 1 Domino Damsel, 1 4-stripe Damsel, 1 Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 False Percula (all fish are only about 1-1 1/2inch long) and 1 Lg Turbo Snail. In about a month or so after water goes back to normal (if it spikes at all) I want to add 1 Sm. Goby (haven't exactly decided on type), 1 more Turbo Snail.

I do about 2-3gal water change once a week and rinse out filter every few days and change it about every 3-4weeks. I live in AZ so I do not have a heater on the tank and the water stays around 78 year round, sometimes have to put bags of ice in water during the summer to keep it down.

Thought number 1- I would get your LFS to double check your PH level. Could be a test kit error. Also I see you use tap water. This going to be a reef tank by any chance. If so you`ll need to get a better water source. Read this .

Thought number 2- I consider bristle worms to be good janitors. Whether your snail was already deasd remains to be seen. As with all things too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. You could possibly have too many for that size tank.

Thought number 3- You are really getting close to your limit of fish in that size tank. You maybe could get that goby but that would definitely be it.

Good luck on your tank and I hope all works out for it.

Definitely have the lfs test your pH. Could be an out of date test kit, or just wrong, at least I hope so.

Too many bristle worms probably means too much food in the tank. The population seems to self regulate based on available food. How much are you feeding, how often, and what?

In my opinion your tank is already overstocked. I would not add any more fish.

When this bristle worm problem started was after all of the fish died and there was nothing left in the tank except my snail. so no feeding at all. about a week after the last fish died is when my snail was killed.

Ahh and to add... No I do not trust any of the LFS in town. They all use dip strip tests that sit out in unsealed containers and unfortunately most people that work in the LFS around here are idiots, and I dont get along with them.

I just bought the test kit about a month ago I use the API liquid test kit. So pretty sure its accurate. And out of curiosity I tested the water today 2 days after putting fish in just to check in on it, and its down to 8.6

i had a few bristtle worms in my tank and i was looking at my bandded shrimp and he caught two of them and was eating them. so that could work, but it all depends on the animal my pepermint shrimp stay far away from my aptisia, the bastards, so it's hit and miss.

So, what is it? Are all your fish dead or what do you have in your tank now?

To Thincat:

I HAD a Velvet Damsel that died about a month ago. Then I took the time to take care of the tank get water parameters back to where they should be and got NEW fish.

As of right now I have 1 Domino Damsel, 1 Yellow Tail Damsel and 1 False Percula. (The 4 Strip Damsel got caught in the filter over the weekend and died while I was at work).

common bristleworms didn't kill your snail. the fact that you have many of them and large ones indicate too much food in the tank. don't feed the tank at all and you'll see less and less of them.

as for the snail dying, i'm betting that whatever killed all the fish, killed the snail too.

Back
Top Bottom