Soak in Garlic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Garlic is used to strengthen a fish's immune system and avoid any pest/disease. My question is there is garlic in a bottle where you can buy at the lfs, and then there's food garlic. Would It be possible to use the food garlic, squeeze out the juice and soak it in fish food?

I think you can. I have heard people using it in their fish food that they make from scratch in a food processor.

I would imagine it would cost you twice the price or more to use fresh garlic as opposed to the commercial brands

Convict2161 said:
Kent sells something called garlic xtreme and man does it smell strong!!

Every once in a while I'll add 2-3 drops and soak the food along with some Selcon.

http://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-garlic-xtreme.htm

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5009

+1

I just started using some, and once you open the outer package (the plastic, not the glass bottle) I can smell it and it will keep vampires miles away! It's also about the only way I can get my blue porcelain crab to come into the open. The inverts love it!

Haha thanks or the replies guys. Yeah I have regular food garlic and wanted to soak it in my fish's food.

We use the human kind and it works just find we also make our own food and put it in there the fish love it and we have been using it for 2 years and the water levels have been great and fish are growing and doing just fine

Calhoun-family said:
We use the human kind and it works just find we also make our own food and put it in there the fish love it and we have been using it for 2 years and the water levels have been great and fish are growing and doing just fine

That's good to hear! I guess it is safe using the human kind :)

Just as a side note it has been found that long term use of garlic can result in liver disease among a few other things. I suggest using it too entice feeding for picky eaters when new or sick for example but would not feed regularly long term.

Schism said:
Just as a side note it has been found that long term use of garlic can result in liver disease among a few other things. I suggest using it too entice feeding for picky eaters when new or sick for example but would not feed regularly long term.

Oh really! I'll probably only use it when it's needed then. Does this go for the same as the garlic in the bottle?

Jake337 said:
Oh really! I'll probably only use it when it's needed then. Does this go for the same as the garlic in the bottle?

Yes, its all derived from garlic.

Jake337 said:
Is this only toward fish's bodies?

I have only seen research regarding fish. It could apply to inverts as well but im not sure.

Inverts do not need garlic to entice feeding though, atleast ive never seen one that refused to eat lol.

I have a "mentor" who sprays it in with his mysis once a week. He literally has a spray bottle, the one that is used for butter in the stores, and he swears by it. He has three very large tanks the smallest of which is a 800 gallon reef. His tanks are amazing and he has been in the hobby for over 15 years. He says the pros well out way if at all the cons. His fish are all in tip top shape and he nevers ever has any diseases or problems. Just saying

My coral beauty had ick I read garlic boost their immune system. The ick was gone two days after I started putting this in with her food. I give them a drop or two in the food one time a week

image-927285348.jpg

Let me make myself more clear lol I gave the coral beauty with ick two drop in his food for a week until the ick was gone now I put a drop or two in everyone's food every week or so
On a side note I believe this bottle was not more then $20

Meganinez said:
Let me make myself more clear lol I gave the coral beauty with ick two drop in his food for a week until the ick was gone now I put a drop or two in everyone's food every week or so
On a side note I believe this bottle was not more then $20

That's good to hear! Yeah, i don't have a bottle of garlic, but I have food garlic and might use that.

That sound good and I looke it up on eBay it only 3.99 plus shipping an bigger bottle is 9.99 plus shipping I'm going to buy that and see how it work thanks I did not know they had that

Back
Top Bottom