Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to arizona reefer
soaking food in garlic?

i hear alot about soaking food in garlic. how is this done just grocery store garlic? and what benifits does it have for the fish?

Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
It is "supposed" to build up their immune system and/or increase appetite. You can use garlic from a store and crush it to extract the juice or buy ready made products. I use Seachem garlic guard and my fish seem to like it.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
When I make my own blender much food. I add 2 heaping teasoons of minced garlic from the store. Look @ the ingredients and make sure theres no preservatives. The only thing in mine is garlic and water...
Old 08-14-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I add garlic extreme to the frozen cubes and I have noticed a huge increase in appetite and have actually seen many little white spots on my regal tang go away. I am not saying it is a cure for ich, but it has seemed to clean everybody up with regards to any type of sopots on them. I will never stop using it now.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

MadManMac: How many drops of garlic extreme do you add to each frozen cube?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Ocean Nutrition has garlic already in the food - unless you wanna do it yourself.

http://www.aquatichouse.com/Fish%20F...%20pellets.asp

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also notice the increase in appetite and reduced white spots on my regal. I use garlic extreme and I put two drops with each cube. However, I don't know how often it should be used, but I use it once everyday.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i soak a cube of mysis or krill in a shot glass with garlic extreme in it. then i just pull the thawed chunk out and break it up in the tank water. Maybe once or twice a week.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I put Kent's Garlic Extreme on the algae that I feed my tangs. Since I started doing that I have not seen a white spot on my Regal. I do it everyday as well the only problem I am having is my living room stinks like garlic between 5-6pm everyday. I put a few drops on kinda smear it around the algae with the dropper wait about 5 minutes for it to soak in and then put it in. They Love it.

Doan
Old 08-19-2004, 10:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
is it ok to add fresh garlic to my homemade frozen food when i make it, or should i pick up one of these liquid garlic products? the flake i feed is fortified with garlic, but the more i read about it's benefits the more i want my fish to have thanks!

Tags
food, garlic, oak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com