Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Soap in my RO/DI!?

Well I had my RO/DI unit sitting on the floor for a couple days while trying to get it to stop leaking and the drain tube was lower than the sink drain so I guess some soap got into the unit from people washing hands/dishes. I noticed this when I filled up my bucket of water and there were a few soap bubble floating around. I've flushed the membrane for over 20 minutes total and emptied and filled the tank at least a handful of time but everytime I fill my bucket there are a few bubble that float around. It's nothing major, it's not like a bubble bath or anything, just a few little bubble smaller than an eraser head but I can't seem to get them to go away. What should I do, will my skimmer remove this or will this small amount possible hurt my tank?

Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Are you sure the bubbles are soap bubbles? I would think an RO and DI filter would remove any soap from the water. If it is truely soap, and you can't get it out, you cannot use any water from this filter. The soap will kill any fish and inverts in the tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm pretty sure it's soap bubble. I'm not sure what elese it would be from, but I've flusehd the tank a bunch of times now and it still seems to be doing it? Could a filter or something have absorbed the soap and now it's leaching it back into the new water>
Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If the soapy water was siphoned back down the drain (waste) line, it would have gone into the RO chamber. I would also think that the DI, since it's after the RO, would remove the soap if there were any in there. If the soap somehow got into your holding tank, it may be difficult to remove it. Can you disconnect it and flush the tank with tap water for a while? That might rinse it all out of there. You might contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say about it as well.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I tried flushing the tank out a few more times and flushing the membrane but it still seemed that some bubbles were in the bucket when I filled. I"m thinking maybe they are just air bubbles from the RO/DI. I'm pretty sure soap did drain down into the system but I've flushed a ton of water through it. Before I put water in my tank I threw a power head in the bucket to see if it would foam up at all and it didn't...so I'll hold my breath and hop it's all good now
Old 12-12-2003, 02:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

have you rinsed the bucket?
Old 12-12-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
have you rinsed the bucket?
yeah, a ton of times, I've even tried using other buckets.

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com