SOB decorator destroyed kenya tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well yesterday my decorator crab went snip snip on my kenya tree coral. I didn't think much of it since they are suppose to move things around. I saw him cut a piece off and put it on his head and thought that is cool.

Now I am looking at the coral and it is about 1/8 it's original size and there are only about maybe 8-10 polyps on it. The piece that was on his head is gone and I don't see it anywhere in the tank. That coral better grow back cause it was so cool.

This is one of those instances where research ahead of time would have paid off....the link that melosu has given says right in the text that the crab will use soft corals to decorate the shell. Cant be much more plain than that.

But... they do not stop after decorating themselves. One outfit is not enough. They have to continuously "go to the mall" and get new "clothes! Even if they don't fit!

It's ok. When I got the kenya tree I just had to pay for the rock that it was on (cool rock) so it was $10. I like the crab more then that coral and it was the only soft coral I have. And I did know before hand that it would cut off pieces of coral and attach it to itself.

O one question do decorator crabs molt?

As far as I know all crustaceans molt. Hmmm, that is interesting, I would love to see his molt....

Back
Top Bottom