Soft Coral Additives and care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! Interestingly enough when I started my soft coral tank, everything is going great, and lemme tell you how surprised I am. Thus far everything I have put into the tank is enjoying their stay. Even my friend who is a reef nut (of about three years) seems very interested in my tank's conditions. He was going to throw out a very much dying leather and was a bit upset because he spent about 35 bucks on it and it fell, started decaying on 2 of the 4 stubs (bad enough for algae to be consuming it!). I jumped at my chance and asked if I could have it to stick it into my tank. He smiled (he was hoping I would say that : )) and after removing some of the stubs with madd algae on it, stuck it into my tank. I hope it does come back, that would be sweet. I recently got a great deal on some mushrooms that also came with the rock so that also adds to my excitement!

I wanted to ask those who keep soft corals what additives have you've been adding to your tank? Thus far I added two drops of iodine (forgot what brand but its hella concetrated!) and on my list is Bio-Calcium, and Magnesium (these being suggested by my friend). Though my tank is new I wanted to have stuff on hand or in case he wants to order somethig so that I could just order with him and split shipping. So please mention any suggestions (whether it be additives or something else) that you use and believe works best for your soft corals, thanks!

Thus far I added two drops of iodine (forgot what brand but its hella concetrated!) and on my list is Bio-Calcium, and Magnesium (these being suggested by my friend).

A good rule of thum is not to add anything you can't test for. For your tank I would do regular waterchanges and monitor and maintain CA and ALK levels.....nothing else.

Regular water change will definitely replenish most of the chemical levels. My corals has been doing great but recently someone brought to my attention the importance of magnesium. Of course, I bought a test kit before I started dosing Mg. My level of Mg was low and after several dosage to bring it back to around 1200-1300, the corals are now doing amazingly fabulous.
Perhaps you may want to consider this.
Overdosing iodine can be dangerous, so get a test kit.

you shouldnt be dosing iodine you should be dosing iodiDe. The raw form of iodine is toxic and iodide is much safer for corals. Sarcophytons and other softies like it very much.

As said above, these types of additions are rarely needed and often come in through foods and water changes. Iodine is actually fine as an additive if used properly and diluted to the right concentration. Many use Lugol's Solutions.

You can read more indepth here... Iodine in Marine Aquaria: Part I by Randy Holmes-Farley

i agree w/ above. Most salt mixes contain the necessary elements, so when you water change these will be added. I put nothing but Kalk in my tank and all is happy-- jmo

Depends on the tank and what I am doing but for my smaller tanks I either utilize weekly water changes with a balanced saltmix or the Kent Two part solution.

Fore my 90 gal tank I use kalkwasser for daily maintenance and Kent buffer/Turbo Ca to tweek the levels when needed.

Cheers
Steve

hehe my bad I meant test kit wise. I recently got Natureef, and plan to stick with it until my tank starts balancing itself out with it. But I am getting the alk and calcium test kits coming soon :D

I recently had a situation where my 2 part additive (ocean's blend)could no longer boost my calcium levels above 320. I had increased dosage to the max recommended daily on the container. I spoke with some experienced reefers and they had seen this happen before. I switched to kalk, and all is well. Just my $.02.

Back
Top Bottom