Soft Coral Shrinkage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it normal for soft coral to shrink when moved up in the tank?

I just moved my Cauliflower about 4 hours ago and it is shrunken (probably due to increased light) - how long should I give it before I move it back to lower in the tank?

Also extra points to those of you who read shrinkage and thought Seinfeld - "I was in the pool!"

I don't have any experience with nems, but my first thought would be no, that is not normal behavior for a nem.

If you now have 2 things in the tank exhibiting signs of stress, something else could be going on.

No that was a different person - I have only the one coral - and I moved it from the bottom of the tank to a middle level.

I have no nems

lol ok, thanks for clearing that up. I live in a constant state of confusion :)

Is it normal for soft coral to shrink when moved up in the tank?

I just moved my Cauliflower about 4 hours ago and it is shrunken (probably due to increased light) - how long should I give it before I move it back to lower in the tank?

Also extra points to those of you who read shrinkage and thought Seinfeld - "I was in the pool!"

Hahaha. Poor George. That was my first thought! I wish I had advice on the coral. But I don't. I just like Seinfeld. :)

Soft corals tend to do this over time so dont get alarm every time it happens. One reason is they shed as they grow. Nd another it has been moved so it need to get comfortable to its new location. I have a green polyp finger leather that I moved down to my SB nd it was shribbled for a week.

I have a duncan in my 10 gal.. And whenever the 6 line wrasse goes whizzing by it shrivels itself up ..1 minute beautiful next its all shriveled up .... Go figure..;)

My Kenya trees get mad all the time. I used to always think they were dying. Their trunks would shrivel up and sometimes change color. Other times their limbs would just droop and in both instances they didnt open. Turns out, they just do that. Within hours they were fine. Maybe something rubbed up against them, I don't know. I've checked parameters over and over again. Nothing wrong!

Yeah - I think my lights were too strong - It was starting to turn white and bend away from the light.

I lowered it back to where it was thriving - I also lowered my lights to half the strength (They were full 100%). In hopes that I can eventually move him to where I want.

Back
Top Bottom