Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Soft Water Softeners

Hi I'm a noob to the site, lots of great info here. I have been reading books, as well as this site and will have my tank here in about 4 weeks. I already have all of my equipment. I have a FW tank but this is my first SW tank. I will have a 100 gal.

My question:

I have a soft water softener in my house. The water here in San Diego is very hard. Currently my system uses Potassium to soften the water. It can also use salt, but I prefer to use the more pricey Potassium pellets as this does not add sodium to the water, and is ok for watering my plants.

Is this ok for my new tank? If not I have an outside line which I can access pretty easily that has a bypass to the soft water system. I have not tested the water yet. I will be treating the water as well to get rid of chlorine.

Thx Mark

Old 06-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Soft Water Softeners

I have a water softener in my house and I use the salt pellets. I don't have any problems watering my plants. I doubt it really puts that much salt into the system. A 40Lbs bag will last me about 6 months or so. I don't know much about potassium other than it helps relieve cramps.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #3

Thanks roka, so if I switch back to salt this should be ok to use in the tank. I'm sure I will still have to condition the water though.

Mark
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Interesting question. I don't have a water softener, so I'm not sure. Have you tested your water that is straight out of the tap and not treated? Even if it's hard, that might work slightly to your advantage with a sw tank, whereas it wouldn't really in a fw tank. The only thing you may have to be worried about is if the water contains other things that are undesireable, such as nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, etc. or other minerals that aren't found in natural sea water. Most of this is okay for the fish and corals, but can feed algae in your tank.

I would somehow feel not so good using water that contained postassium for my aquarium, but postassium is found in small amounts in natural sea water, and I have no clue what an overabundance of it would do to your tank.

The salt softener, I agree with Scott, should be just fine to use.

Sorry that's not really a definitive answer.

welcome to AA, btw.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA. Any reason you can not get an RO/DI unit. As Lindsay said there might be other things in the water you need to take care of. I noticed you did not mention anything about one so I was just suggesting one. You can get a good one for less than a hundred dollars. That is the route I have gone and would be for you also.JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I used to use the tap from my well without using any kind of conditioner, but all water is different. I do like Mike's suggestion of running it through an RO/DI unit like I do now.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #7

I have been looking at RO/DI units here: http://www.thefilterguys.biz/

I have been talking to them via e-mail, so I will probabally get one. I will just hook it up to a hose fitting I have in the garage, and make my water in batches (possibly in a rubbermaid trashcan). First I need to test my tap water, I should be doing that in the next week.

mark
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree. Test your water and then you`ll know for sure. One thing you cant test for is heavy metals unless you do it with a TDS meter. I have always used RO/DI water whether I got it from the LFS (7 yrs) or got my own unit (3 yrs). I believe you`ll be happier with the RO/DI unit.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soft

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com