Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had the same problem. I use ro water, my lights are on the right amount of time, so i was confused. People say dont get a fish to do a job, ok dont get a fish. Get a turbo snail. These things are tanks and will eat all of your hair algea. I bought 1 and all of my hair algea was gone the next day

Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I call bull lol but ill go get two turbo snails I have Astra now and there slow. How much faster are turbo snails? Lol I figured by correcting the problem and keeping it under control I would be doing the right thing.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yeah that.
Also, Google "raising magnesium levels to kill Bryopsis".
Another thing you can do is implement a refugium or a turf scrubber.
This is the way to go IMO and IME...Its all i run,going on 3 years now
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
Fish R friends, not food!

I had a pretty bad case of hair algae and a lawnmower blenny killed it in a week. But, then you have to supplement thier diet after that. I give them algae sheets.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315
I call bull lol but ill go get two turbo snails I have Astra now and there slow. How much faster are turbo snails? Lol I figured by correcting the problem and keeping it under control I would be doing the right thing.
I dont know about other tyrbo snails, but mine goes pretty fast and eats like a machine. Haha
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only problems i see with getting animals that eat the algae is ,they just turn around and release it back into the water ,,,don't they??
I mean if something eats only algae ,then what comes out....Not sure if its a solution to the issue,,a band-aid maybe,,but in a few months i wonder if you'll be battling it again,,,just curious,,i never had blennies or snails or a CUC..
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not really true if your CUC only eats algae they will be eating it befoe you can see it keeping it under control.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've been battling hair algae for about 10 months now. Its a mystery how its growing. I use only RO/DI water and tried cutting the time my LED lights are on. I only feed every other day.

Tried an emerald crab ( munched on everything BUT the hair algae), turbo snails ( they just stayed on the glass), and chemical warfare with Algaefix (killed my chaeto in the sump).

Finally got a sea hare and the thing went to work right away. Within days my hair algae was gone. Now I'm bringing algae-covered rocks up from the sump since its mostly gone from the display tank.

Sea Hare for the win.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah but a sea hare only eats algae once your algaes gone what will the sea hare be eating?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you think if the next time I do a water change I wipe and take out as much more of this algae as possible at would control it further my manually removing it?

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com