Solution for long hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank is a month old and ive got some LONG hair algae. We're talkin an inch! My snails did good on the short stuff but won't touch the long stuff. I never see my blue or red hermits on it either. How can I get rid of it?

Same boat here man. Are you using ro di water? I just switched hoping that will rectify the problem.

Also what's your lighting schedule you can cut off the lights or cut them back if you have corals that need the light.

Yep I'm using RO/DI water but occasionally I'm topping off with tap. And my daylights are only on for about 9 hours a day. My actinics for about 12

I'd say use only rodi it's what was told by several. And cut the lights to 9 hours total 12 hours is a lot lol

Okay I'll cut back an hour or two. How bout inverts? I've heard mixed opinions on nudibranchs and cucumbers. Emerald crab?

Mr.x replied to my thread and said weekly water changes and cut back to feeding every few days. I'm using Astra snails and hermit crabs they kept it from getting out of control.

My astreas do a good job on the short stuff but they're SSLLOOWW. Lol maybe it's because I only have 5 of them. My hermits don't touch it. I'll cut back on feeding a little bit too

Mr.x replied to my thread and said weekly water changes and cut back to feeding every few days. I'm using Astra snails and hermit crabs they kept it from getting out of control.
Yeah that.
Also, Google "raising magnesium levels to kill Bryopsis".
Another thing you can do is implement a refugium or a turf scrubber.

Oooooo okay because the stuff that came up on google looked like a mini fern. Okay okay okay

I our two emrald crabs in my tank and a week later it was gone I knew they ate bubble algae but did not think they ate hair algae so it was ither a coincidence or they ate it ;)

Back
Top Bottom