Some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hocky puck

Aquarium Advice Freak
K so 90 gal tank is full and I want to raise my stand an extra 5 inches. I'm thinking use 2 hand trucks and lift put 2x4 under it and screw them on. Thoughts?

Lots of 5 gallon pails Id drain as much water as i could, it wont take much to stress that tank and crack it.

Agreed. The stand my tank is on is even on wheels and I don't want to move it an inch...even though it would be so much better suited on the other side of my living room...

Yeah i think moving or attempting to lift a full tank is just a bad idea. Doesnt take much for disaster trying something like that, guess youd have to weigh risk vs reward. In my opinion build a new stand a transfer the tank but thats just me.

I tried to move a tank once. I just was trying to move it a few feet from the wall. The swishing of the water created so much force it cracked the seal on the side wall and my tank was ruined. It was older but I still wouldnt attempt to move a tank with much water in it.

I actually was curious and looked up this conversion the other day...

A gallon of water weighs 8.4 lbs. 90 gallon is 756 lbs. That is a hell of a lot of weight.

Personally I would leave it be. I would think it would be mad stress on the tank glass and seals, and also the people involved!! :)

You could get a large food grade trash can and transfer almost all of the water out of the tank. If you need to take out rocks or fish a small powerhead and heater would keep them healthy for many hours. Then mod the stand and use the powerhead and a length of hose to pump the water back into the tank. Rescape, and re-acclimate the fish if needed. Then drink a beer!

Was thinking ratchet straps through the floor joist above it and pull it up but I like your idea better

Back
Top Bottom