Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

some corals not opening up

all of a sudden my mushroom, hammer, one bubble coral and the candy cane are not openning up.
Any ideas why?

nitrate is under .5, ammonia is 0 and nitrate is 0.
calcium 440, KH 9-10
temp is 79
salinity 1.025

only thing i think i am doing wrong is that i am not turning the lights on at the same time everyday. I usually have the lights on from 1PM to 10PM

Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

found out what the problem is. Hadnt' tested ph in a while. which is at 8.8, what's the fastest and safest way to lower it.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay as soon as i realized the PH was at 8.8 yesterday, i turned off the lights, changed 5 gallons out of the tank, I retested at midnight last night and the PH is now 7.8 or 8.0 cant really tell the difference.
That's a really drastic change. I also mixed 20 gallons of water to do another water change and that PH is 7.8 (coralife salt) at 1.025.
Obviously there's a drastic change of PH. how coudl that be and how could i control it?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I find out for myself that frequent PWC`s will keep PH in check but I know also that not all marine salts are not created equal. They make PH buffers if it does not. I`ve also heard of folks using baking soda but I`ve heard that it needs to be baked in the oven. Not sure how that works. Maybe someone can explain it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Baking soda is used to increase pH and alkalinity.

The baking of baking soda is part of the DIY Two Part solution to increase Alk when your pH is low. Alk helps stabilize pH.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

"Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.
Once these two solutions are created, they can be added as frequently as necessary to maintain calcium and alkalinity. For further dosing instructions, see below"

Testing at midnight will give you pH results quite lower than testing just before lights out. Testing pH should always be done at the same time of day because of thiis variablity.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

i changed 20 gallons of water yesterday and added marine buffer since i tested it at 7.8 in the morning and during the night.
After adding the marine buffer and after the light cycle ph was at 8.4 and this morning at 8.0. It might not be the PH after all.

My mushrooms have not opened in two days and the hammer coral is completely bleached. It also looks like the Xenia are decaying in a way (as if the have been picked on). Could it be that one of the corals has released some toxins.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Even if it was releasing some toxins which I dont think it is, the PWC`s would take care of that. Any way of putting GAC in the tank in case it`s something we cant test for. BTW what kind of lighting do you have?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

what's GAC?
I have T5HO lightling. running 6 bulbs, two actinic.
I also have another fixture of two more actinic, but i ran that only for about a week.
all bulbs are 54 watts.
90 gallon tank, two feet deep.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Lighting is OK.

GAC = Granular activated Carbon.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

so i should put some carbon in there in case there's something in the water?

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com