Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2005, 04:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some easy to breed species?

I just sold my full setup to take a temporary pause in the hobby (with a few nanos to hold me over, of course I was thinking of giving a go at perc breeding and a few other types of animals after purchasing 2-4 10 gallon tanks and butting them close together on one stand and doing something different with each tank. What are some more easy to breed things? I don't care if they are snails, shrimp, fish, clams, etc... just something I can breed and trade at my lfs to kill some time and have something to do in the evenings after work. Any of you have any repetitive success with any particular animal?

Also, will I need a "true mated" pair of clowns so to speak - or is that just a sales hype promoted by online sellers and fish stores? For instance, I purchased two true percs (not advertised as mated) online that were soloman island fish. The smaller (only by a bit) of the two died... two weeks later they sent me one from another island when they got them in (they looked identical and "hung out" so to speak) but the newer one was tiny while the other had gotten very large. They stayed the same size after that. Would they have breed if I kept them? Any of you have success in spawning in a mated pair from a particular source? If so, where?

thanks all!

Old 07-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
i could be wrong, but im pretty sure it is hard to breed fish in tanks, im pretty sure that clowns would probably be your best bet, maybe some of those black and white percs. I just did a quick search on liveaquaria for there tank bred fish, mabe this can point you in a direction.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=1500

good luck, and keep us posted, with pics.

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO, for some of the best info on breeding marine fish you should pick up a copy of Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson. HTH
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys - for some reason I didn't get a topic reply notification. Any info on any other species with successful breeding?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pretty sure all clownfish species, banghaii cardinalfish, pseudocromis, gobies and some cetropyge angels have been bred. http://orafarm.com/products.html will give some ideas on species of captive bred fish. HTH

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=86
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
damsels can be bred pretty easily
Old 08-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have 2 bangaii cradinals that have finaly bred after almost 2 years of trying the fry are 3 weeks old now and doing good but i know they will never make it to a lfs after raising them for 6 months
Old 08-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

my friend has a mated pair of tomato clowns and they spawn every couple months but they have other fish in the tank that absoulutly devour them as an afternoon snack hth
Old 08-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh by the way it sounds like an excellent fun idea. . . . wish id thought of that

Tags
breed, spec, species

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com