Some easy to breed species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidreamer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just sold my full setup to take a temporary pause in the hobby (with a few nanos to hold me over, of course :) I was thinking of giving a go at perc breeding and a few other types of animals after purchasing 2-4 10 gallon tanks and butting them close together on one stand and doing something different with each tank. What are some more easy to breed things? I don't care if they are snails, shrimp, fish, clams, etc... just something I can breed and trade at my lfs to kill some time and have something to do in the evenings after work. Any of you have any repetitive success with any particular animal?

Also, will I need a "true mated" pair of clowns so to speak - or is that just a sales hype promoted by online sellers and fish stores? For instance, I purchased two true percs (not advertised as mated) online that were soloman island fish. The smaller (only by a bit) of the two died... two weeks later they sent me one from another island when they got them in (they looked identical and "hung out" so to speak) but the newer one was tiny while the other had gotten very large. They stayed the same size after that. Would they have breed if I kept them? Any of you have success in spawning in a mated pair from a particular source? If so, where?

thanks all!

i could be wrong, but im pretty sure it is hard to breed fish in tanks, im pretty sure that clowns would probably be your best bet, maybe some of those black and white percs. I just did a quick search on liveaquaria for there tank bred fish, mabe this can point you in a direction.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1500

good luck, and keep us posted, with pics.

- Jeff

IMO, for some of the best info on breeding marine fish you should pick up a copy of Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson. HTH

Thanks guys - for some reason I didn't get a topic reply notification. Any info on any other species with successful breeding?

i have 2 bangaii cradinals that have finaly bred after almost 2 years of trying the fry are 3 weeks old now and doing good but i know they will never make it to a lfs after raising them for 6 months

my friend has a mated pair of tomato clowns and they spawn every couple months but they have other fish in the tank that absoulutly devour them as an afternoon snack hth

Back
Top Bottom