Some interesting observations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all, just thought I would share this as its kind of interesting.

For the last week, I have been building a new sump that will clear up a lot of clutter and bad plumbing decisions made when I was relatively new to SW. Knowing that I am installing this new sump on Wednesday I have "slacked" a little on my routine maintenance (no water change for two weeks as I will be changing a lot when i swap the sump.) The pump that runs my overflow is also going out, and im not sucking water from the top constantly, its only pulling from the top about 40 - 50% of the time. In the last week that it has been behaving this way I have noticed an accumulation of DOM in my sump and on the display surface. Its not much, but its visible. My skimmer is still producing skimate regularly, however its not stripping the tank dry as it usually does. I am starting to notice however that my tank look more clear than ever and that my corals seem to be extending better. I wish I had a DOM kit, however I can only assume that the slightly elevated level is somewhat beneficial. Anyhow, just thought I would share the experience. Anyone else seen results similar to that, or am I just trying to justify my laziness LoL.

The pump that runs my overflow is also going out, and im not sucking water from the top constantly, its only pulling from the top about 40 - 50% of the time.

kinda cunfused on that ?? some corals do better with dirtier water !! but also will cause other issues !! but ya know this :)

Okay, I have a CPR 800GPH overflow. The CPR needs some kind of pump to ensure that the siphon continues and kicks back on for power outs. I use an aqualifter to maintain my siphon and its getting weak. When this happens, the overflow does have water "falling" into it, the water goes down the overflow, however its not pulling from the surface. As far as the dirty water part goes, it was an interesting observation, but once my new plumbing is in DOM won't have a chance LoL. May be something to not stripping the heck out of the water with a big nasty skimmer, but im not going to be the guniea pig LoL the system ran great before my slacking and im not interested in changing what works all that much. Take care steve.

hummm i own two cpr's and mabe the aqualifter isnt the issue !! have ya cleaned the air nipple ?? i know crap get stuck in it and will slow the flow !! i use a pipe cleaner works great! ive been meaning to buy a aqualifer myself but knock on wood ive been lucky i just use the siphon method !! was using a maxi-jet to keep air out but it would clog the air nipple faster !! by the way how does that pump really work ive never seen one so cunfused on it !! does it rest on the box its self ? were lucky here and the power never has gone out in a few years !! but know im asking for a flood !!

The aqualifter is a two edged sword. First off, let me make it perfectly clear that its a piece of crap. However knowing that its a piece of crap you can take meassures to use it correctly. The pump is good IME for about 4 - 5 months before it needs replacement. There is an option for a pre-filter for it, under no circustances use the pre-filter or your begging for trouble. I have had 6 power outs and the aqualifter has come through like a champ each time. As long as you keep a spare on hand its all good. The pump just sits on top of the box, here is a pic. On the up side its only a $12.00 pump

that sucks glad i never got one !! i was using a maxi-jet 1200 which i feel was to strong but also i was using the venturi that fits on the intake which i feel is better than using the venturi on the output side of the pump !! think ill try a smaller maxi-jet that should work alot better and also it will last alot longer than 4-5 months !! for a short term fix if ya want to clean the doc of the top of your tank just use an airline and have it syphon into your sump !! then your box will run at full speed :)

Back
Top Bottom