some questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
questions.
1 is there a fish that would be active enough to make my other fish move around a little more (my fish all have their spot)?
2. why does my firefish hide so much?
3. how often should i feet plankton?
4. wold a marble star be ok for my tank?
5. how many sexy shrimp for a 3 gal?
6. whats a nice fast growing sps beginner coral? (w/ 150w halides)
7. what will put a dent in my dust algea problem on my glass?
8. what really weird/strange looking stuff could i get?
9. what are the little swirly white things on the back of my tank and side glass?
10. how fast will a mushroom reproduce?

theres going to be more so be redy. feel free to ask any question to help answer one of mine.

questions.
1 is there a fish that would be active enough to make my other fish move around a little more (my fish all have their spot)?
2. why does my firefish hide so much?
3. how often should i feet plankton?
4. wold a marble star be ok for my tank?
5. how many sexy shrimp for a 3 gal?
6. whats a nice fast growing sps beginner coral? (w/ 150w halides)
7. what will put a dent in my dust algea problem on my glass?
8. what really weird/strange looking stuff could i get?
9. what are the little swirly white things on the back of my tank and side glass?
10. how fast will a mushroom reproduce?

theres going to be more so be redy. feel free to ask any question to help answer one of mine.

For #9... Do they look like this?
"This tiny feather duster with a calcareous tube commonly reproduces sexually in aquariums, settling all over the glass, rocks, pipes, and pumps. It is a Pileolaria sp."

Attachments

• Pileolariawide.jpg
    Pileolariawide.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 68
To answer a couple of the other ones...

1) Most SW fish claim thier territories and hang around that spot.
7) A MagFloat (works wonders)

I'll leave the rest to the experts for now.

yup, so theyre good (wont disturb anything)? do they even have the duster part?

Yes they do...they are tiny but you can notice the feather on the bigger ones. I have them on the back of my tank. They do not hurt anything.

1. It does not make any difference because each fish is going to do what`s natural for it to do.
2. It`s their nature to do it. I dont know how your rocks are but I have mine on my back glass so if they come out they have to swim out front. This should go on question no. 1 also.
3. Why do you need to. Do you have a heavy population of coral in your tank. What do you have as far as corals?
4. What size tank?
5. IMO one.
6. Pavona coral, Red cap or green cap.
7. A mag float.
8. ??????
9. pods
10. Depends on water quality and lighting.

1. A shark? But seriously... fish seem to always find a favorite spot to call home. If someone else comes along and kicks them out of "their" spot, they'll find another one. Certain fish stay in one spot (clowns, cardinals) and others swim all over (clown goby, chromis)... it just depends on their species. If you find a fish that keeps them constantly moving around and away from their "home", then most likely the fish is being harassed and that's just not healthy.

2. See #1.
3. Depends on what you're feeding it to.
4. Probably not. I think your tank is fairly small if I remember right and stars do a great job of gobbling up whatever beneficial things are living in your sand bed. Normally, they don't live very long before running out of food. Granted, there are always exceptions.
5. No idea. Probably quite a few.
6. No idea... SPS isn't really my thing.
7. A cleaner magnet.
8. Depends on your definition of weird I suppose! As long as it's compatible with your tank size, and you understand the requirements of keeping it... go for it!
9. Worms/dusters. They'll come and go and are an OK thing to have.
10. Faster then you'll want them to.

1. It does not make any difference because each fish is going to do what`s natural for it to do.
2. It`s their nature to do it. I dont know how your rocks are but I have mine on my back glass so if they come out they have to swim out front. This should go on question no. 1 also.
3. Why do you need to. Do you have a heavy population of coral in your tank. What do you have as far as corals?
4. What size tank?
5. IMO one.
6. Pavona coral, Red cap or green cap.
7. A mag float.
8. ??????
9. pods
10. Depends on water quality and lighting.

1 im just sick of my clown staying in one corner and not moving out of it all day. is there a fish that is very very active and good 4 a nano? (dont really care about the teratory thing anymore).
2 ok
3 just to do it. i got frogspawn, xenia, some sort of brain, blasto, trumpet, and zoos. also have a giant duster.
4 28 gal.
5 already have 2 so idk
6 ok
7 i use the mag 2-3 times a day. im thinkin along the lines ov an invert to help me out.
8 ...
9 dusters
10 ok

1. A shark? But seriously... fish seem to always find a favorite spot to call home. If someone else comes along and kicks them out of "their" spot, they'll find another one. Certain fish stay in one spot (clowns, cardinals) and others swim all over (clown goby, chromis)... it just depends on their species. If you find a fish that keeps them constantly moving around and away from their "home", then most likely the fish is being harassed and that's just not healthy.

2. See #1.
3. Depends on what you're feeding it to.
4. Probably not. I think your tank is fairly small if I remember right and stars do a great job of gobbling up whatever beneficial things are living in your sand bed. Normally, they don't live very long before running out of food. Granted, there are always exceptions.
5. No idea. Probably quite a few.
6. No idea... SPS isn't really my thing.
7. A cleaner magnet.
8. Depends on your definition of weird I suppose! As long as it's compatible with your tank size, and you understand the requirements of keeping it... go for it!
9. Worms/dusters. They'll come and go and are an OK thing to have.
10. Faster then you'll want them to.

1 ok (look above for long answer)
2 ok
3 ok (look above for longer answer)
4 28 gal nanocube, how bout if i feed it silversides or clam or something?
5 already have 2 so idk
6 ok
7 ok (look above for longer answer)
8 Just anything out of the ordinary, like stuff that ppl will say woah wut is that, or something that they wont even notice or sumthin
9 ok
10 ohh, doubt that =]

As you might have read in one of my posts... My clown used to stay in the upper left corner of my tank until I got it a BTA. (Bubble Tip Anemone) Not long after, it started hosting it and is now out in front .

I think everyone covered the other questions.

SPS...

Digitata or Montipora Capricornus are good beginner SPS corals. They will grow well with your lighting and good flow.

anther 1, do bangaii cardinals change colors according to their mood? cuz yesterday he was really pale then vibrant now hes brownish. or is it their surrondings or somehting. or stress level or like territoral stuff?

I dont know the answer to that. It could be stress or territorial. Someone else will have to chime in on this question

10 ohh, doubt that =]

You might want to bookmark this post so you can chuckle about this comment later down the road!

Regarding the Bangaiis... I've never really noticed mine changing colors at all. Some fish will be a little splotchy colored when they get stressed, or a little faded when the lights first come on... but I've never noticed these things with the Bangaiis. Or maybe mine is just mellow...

well i still have a boring 3 gal so when they start to spread really good, ill send em over to it. what makes u think that ill have a ton? also the bangaii is a much lighter brown than earlier.

hmm, i got home 2 nite and my brain was shrivled up. so as im observing, this orange stuff is spit out of its mouth. almost stringy, silky, rust red, "stuff". anyone?
i also seem to have what people have identifyed as an orange ball mushroom on my glass. 3 inches or so away from all of the rock.
thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about an open brain like a Trachyphyllia. Sounds like it's... well... pooping, for lack of a better description. It's gotta get rid of the undigested stuff somehow, and it's only got one hole. So what goes in must come out. And it normally doesn't look very happy just before and after it does it.

well i still have a boring 3 gal so when they start to spread really good, ill send em over to it. what makes u think that ill have a ton?
These are my four mushrooms in my tank 10 months ago...

img_906543_0_cbf40e94fb7cb1c05c351e86650aaea5.jpg

This is tonight...

img_906543_1_731ab13f2c39d1b25b8d93c450726b3c.jpg

And in reading posts here and on other boards, it's rare to find a post saying "I just can't keep mushrooms alive", but you'll often find posts saying "How do I get rid of these things once they're in my tank!!!" Don't get me wrong... I love them and would recommend them to anyone. But they do have a tendency to become somewhat weed-like.

Your brain coral may also expel like that when it is stressed. Keep an eye on it chances are Kurt is correct and it is just getting rid of waste.

thanks! now, im thinking 1 more fish and i want this 1 to be vibrant and active. im thinking a chromis, psuedochromis, or a flame angle. or anything pretty active to liven up my fairly still tank.

ohh and i just thought of a possible reason for the fish not being as lively as i'd hoped, could it be warm temperatures? ohhhhhh or could it be fluxuating temperatures? cuz the halides make the tank raise upto around 83 and then at night it goes back down to around 79-80. regardless if it affects the fish, i know i need to fix this. but how?

Back
Top Bottom