Some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono_vivi

Aquarium Advice Regular
1. Will all these fish survive in a 38 fish only aquarium with synthetic corals?

Pair Percula Clowns(want them to be a mated pair)
Royal Gramma
Orange-Spotted Goby
3 Green Chromis

I plan to have a Protein Skimmer too, don't know if that extends carrying capacity or not, though.

2. Can you have snails without Live Rock?

3. What lighting would you suggest for this? Also what powerhead?

Thanks

1. size-wise the fish are fine. You'll be above recomended capacity for that size tank (close to 1"/gal with adult fish).

2. yes

3. NO strip light will be fine, all it's needed for in this situation is to see your fish. Whatever powerheads you go with, try for turning the tank over at least 10x an hour.

Skimmers won't increase capacity really, just make water conditions better. It may allow you to fudge a bit on the bio-load, but if you ever have a power failure that increase bioload could wipe the entire tank relatively quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I don't really want to put any of my fish at risk, so what single fish would fit nicely with what I want to replace the Chromis?

Also, what do I look at on the Powerheads? Do they say how many gallons they turn an hour?

Thanks.

Most everyone here agrees that Maxijet make a great Powerhead. the 1200 is rated for 295G per hour. A couple of these and you will be set. The price is right too.

38G X 10 = 380 gph. :D
Mike

So a pair of Power Heads would be better for a 38? Also, what's the average price for the Maxijet you're talking about?

These Maxijet 1200 powerheads I bought for $22.00 each. Well worth the investment. This will be all you need for proper filtration.

Mike

Some people use powerheads and filters together, and some use powerheads alone, and let the live rock be the filtration. It is all a preference.

Mike

I don't plan on having Live Rock for my first tank. So a filter and 2 powerheads would be suitable then?

If you aren't using live rock, then you will definitely want a filter. A skimmer woudn't hurt either.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom