Some questions ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
O.k. so I have all my supplies excluding live rock, now here is my question. When I go to get my live rock in about 3 weeks I want to be sure I have the process correct!

I want to 1st put in my LR, 2nd add my LS, 3rd get my equipment set in place, i.e Powerheads and heater, set some sort of bowl in the bottom of the tank to pour the water (RO/DI from LFS) into so it doesn't splash the sand everywhere ... then turn my Powerheads and heater on as well as my filter, I have the Eclipse 3 system filter and lighting in one. I know this probably isn't the best filter, but I plan on getting ALOT of rock and A DEEP sand bed to help it along!

NOW ... if all this is correct

1. the LR I'm getting is cured (I think), I should expect some dieoff right? Keys rock from liverocks.com
2. do I run my filter with or with out media and biowheel? Carbon bag or no?
3. do I turn lights on or leave them off to battle algae problems at first?
4. "Fishless Cycle" the tank until params are correct, and then add cleaning crew?

Sorry this is so long .... I'm sure I will come up with more as time draws near, but if there is anything you all can point out I would surely appreciate it!!!

TIA,
Jermz79

I the tank is empty mix the saltwater with a PH and heater and adjust to your desired salinty level 24hr prior to adding the sand or rock. Adding the live rock before sand is good to make sure that the rock is stable.

1. yes, expect some dieoff due to shipping. Remove any decaying matter off the rock when you recieve it.
2. no need to run any kind of media. Biowheel can become nitrate factories which is not a good thing. Your live rock is the bio filter. No need for carbon while cycling. You might want to have the sponge in the filter to collect larger particles.
3. Many people get nice live rock with a lot of life on it and they will run their lights on to preserve that life.
4. Fishless cycle with a dead raw shrimp will produce the ammonia to start the cycle. Most likely the dieoff from your live rock is enough. After your tank has cycled do a water change of 10%-20% then add your clean up crew. Remeber to test your water a lot for a newer tank. You can either add a fish or corals next. I would add one fish and wait a week or two before adding another to help build up your tanks bio-load to process the waste.

Good luck

Wouldn't I want to add all the rock and sand first due to displacement? I'm getting premixed RO/DI water from my LFS for my initial fill .... so I won't need to mix ... unless that's a line that my LFS is feeding me? They are usually pretty good about not steering ya in the wrong direction though!

I'm not having the live rock shipped, I live maybe 20 minutes from liverocks.com and will be going to pick it up! so what do I need to do ... make sure I have everything ready to go all at once ... and do the whole setup on one day? rock, sand, equipment, water ... in that order?

and last but not least, are you recomending that I remove the carbon filter AND bio-wheel at first or forever? run just the eclipse filter with nothing in it? and what kind of sponge are you refering too?

Again thanks .... I'm getting really confused HAHAHA :? :? :?

You have it right.... Add all your stuff before water if you can..
I would also cover the sand with a large plastic bag and place the bowl on that. This will help keep the sand storm down to almost none.
you can run filter floss in the filter fo help collect and larger particles, your choice not needed.
You can run carbon if you like when ever you like, its all a choice. In a new set up I would hold off till the cycle is over.
Must be nice being able to pick up the LR from them direct :)
sounds like you did your homework.

I tried to do alot of research and am getting really close to my setup .... I've been waiting to close on my new house! So now it comes down to start up questions, since I finally have all the equipment I need!

I can't wait to go to liverocks.com, they seem like really nice people and I am looking forward to seeing their facilities!

sounds pretty good, your lucky to be able to drive and see those guys at lr.com. when i set up my 75 gl i think im going to take three days of work and drive there myself but i live in upper michigan its about a 22 hr drive but it will still be cheaper for me to drive than ship because i'm going to get 150lbs of keys and gulf mixed. When i ordered 20lbs it cost almost $200.00 there shipping method is DHL and they wont ship way up here so i had to ship fedex overnight and it was over a $100.00 to ship. so think how much would it be to ship 150lbs WOW i don't want to even know 8O

Jermz79 said:
Wouldn't I want to add all the rock and sand first due to displacement? :? :? :?

You could add the sand and rocck first but it's not rocket science to remove the extra water from displacement. scoop out the extra or don't fill the tank all the way up. If your not going to add the water in the tank I would recommend still heating the water to your desired temp.

Another way to add sand in a tank already filled with water is to-turn off your PH, submerge the sand while still in the bag(un-opened) or in a sealed zip-lock bag in your tank, cut a slit or open the zip-lock partially and gently poor it out while guiding it over the tank bottom.

The sponge I was refering to is floss. But I used "sponge" because i thought it it would be easier for a newer person to understand than "floss".

Very cool, thank you for clarifying the sponge/floss thing!

On another note, do you guys recomend not using the BIO-Wheel at all, I have read some pro's and con's on it and really can't decide! I thought about possibly trying to use some LR rubble in there in place of the wheel somehow ... and will definitely check out this filter floss!

I know removing the extra water from displacement wouldn't be hard I just figure that if I add the Rock/Sand first then I won't need to purchase as much water right off the bat!

I am getting really excited about this, and the wifey is getting really annoyed ... I know once we get that "NEMO" fish in there though she won't be complaining anymore!! :lol: :lol: :lol: HAHA!!

Thanks for all the help

Your rock is enough for bio filtration and will have a lot of bacteria on it so I would ditch the bio-wheel.

It's all ways handy to have extra container of pre-mixed salt water handy incase an emergency water change is needed. I always have at least 10%-20% gallons of saltwater in a bucket with a power head ready for emergencies and weekly water changes.

It is very exciting. I remember when I first added my live rock I would eat my meals, read, etc in front of my tank hoping to spot some critters. I didn't get some of the great live rock with tons of life on it like some of people on this board :(

I went to my Dr.'s office yesterday and they had a brand new 150 gallon set up in there, I was talkin with Doc and asking him some questions .... he said that his wife has called him 4 nights now asking him where he was?

His reply ..... "I'm sitting in front of the fishtank here at the office, waiting for something to move!"

HAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the Help!

Back
Top Bottom