Some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone out there I have a couple questions I think you can awnser for me,

1. I have a 90 gallon tank (48" x 18" x 22") which is going to be a reef tank. I have 2 lbs of live rock per gallon. Right now it is "the berlin wall" and I was wondering should I change it to have all those holes and crevices in it when I stack it. I know it is an opinionated thing...and I was thinking that would be the best way to go so I can get the most and have it as part of the display not just "the corals base". So if anyone can give me some stacking tips or anything on how you feel about the situation that would be great.

2. I am going to grow all different types of corals and other light needing organisms (clams, SPS coral, LPS coral, soft corals, mushrooms, ect.) the works. And the lighting system I plan to buy is the Coralife 48" metal halide series pro lights. But they offer 2 lighting fixtures: the first for $799.99 CDN puts out a total wattage of 495 watts or 5.5 watts per gallon. Or they offer a second fixture for $1199.99 CDN and it is 696 watts or 7.7 watts per gallon. And im trying to figure out which would be the best way to go. I would like to here your opinions personally.

Well thats about it for now. I hope you can respond to this ASAP because im am going to buy my lights soon enough. Well Cheers and thanks a million.

Matt

I have many "swim throughs" in my rock stacking and the fish really seem to enjoy it.

I've read that in reef tanks that there is no such thing as too much light. If you can swing it, go for the larger of the two.

And i'd put some little caves and "swim throughs" for the fishes as well. My clown spends more time swimming around and through the rocks than anything. Just think it'll make it more interesting for you to watch :)

From what you wish to keep it sounds like MH is the way to go. Without having more info on the fixtures you mentioned it is hard to determine if they will work for you. Do you a link? A 90gal tank is pretty deep. This means that you will need some more intense lighting to penetrate to the bottom. Personally, for what you have listed in terms of livestock I would consider two 250watt MH lamps with actinic suppliments.

Back
Top Bottom