Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2003, 01:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

correction Nitrite 1.6PPM

Don't know what I am talking about, visit http://www.arrl.org/ and www.rsgb.org
pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 01:56 PM   #12

That is dangerously high, but not as bad as ammonia being that high... It will subside and when it does, you will see it go down pretty quick.. If you have no Ammonia reading, the process is doing exactly what it should be doing... what kind of de-nitrator are you using? BioZyme? Dolphin Pharm.? Hagen Cycle? I found that the nitrate rose substantially when I used Bio Zyme. However, In time it has fallen to 10 ppm and I have 0 nitrite and 0 ammon. It has been 3 months and quite a few water changes. Water changes will definately decrease nitrates if you use RO/DI water...
Old 01-25-2003, 02:07 PM   #13

OK, well that makes me feel a bit better. The de-nitrator I am using is made by a German Company called Aqua Medic, it contains Deniballs which are biodegradable plastic. It sits under the tank and water is pumped into the reaction chamber, and then pumped back into the tank at about 0.5 pint per hour. I am not familiar with the ones you mention as I presume these are US manufacture. I am in the UK and I have not heard of these makes before. I have not used RO water yet as I wanted to get the tank habitable before trying something new.
Learning something new every minute, so apologises if any of my questions sound stupid. When would be a good time to introduce livestock?.

Old 01-25-2003, 02:36 PM   #14

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked....Everyone here to help and all of us here to learn, that is what makes the wheel go 'round.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #15

Thanks, in that casehttp://www.aquariumadvice.com/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif how can I reduce the number of bubbles that my protein skimmer is pushing back in to the tank. I have got the skimmer on the lowest tap setting (i.e. reduced outflow), and it flows through two outflow boxes (on different levels) which also have some foam in them, but it still chucks out more bubbles than you can shake a stick at.

Old 01-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #16

When the Nitrite is down to 0 ppm. Using the fishless method is something I did not do, and my fish I am sure went through He$$ and back again until the water got right...Believe me, I wouldn't do it today, if I got a new system. Be patient and wait for the 0 ppm to show. It will be sooner than you think. Mab a week or so, I can't tell. It is nature that takes its course now.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:23 PM   #17

Thanks I will just sit back and relax, can you comment on my Skimmer problem on my last post?

Old 01-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Live sand/coral will increase nitrate levels for a little while. I had this experience when I added live coral substrate to my seahorse tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com