Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2003, 10:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Some reassurance needed pls

I have recently taken the step from FW to Marine and have got the following setup. A 125 litre tank with Eheim Ext filter, Aqau Medic 1000 protein skimmer and Aqua Medic 400 Nitrate reductor. The tank was setup about 5 weeks ago with just salt water (SG1025) and the skimmer. The temperature has always been 26 degrees C. About two weeks later the Eheim external filter was added, and then about 1 week later approx 4 inch of live coral. Yesterday I added about 20Kg of live rock along with the nitrate reductor.
Now I know it is a bit early, but I did a water test this morning, showing Ammonia as 0, but both Nitrate and Nitrate levels where through the roof.
The question is will the bacteria on the rock start to bring down the levels, and if so how long would it normally take. Sorry if I have missed out any crucial info.
TIA
Pioneer

Old 01-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #2

If I am not mistaken, you shouldn't use a skimmer during the cycle process and adding LR after will cause a mini cycle because of the die off. The coral guys will have to comment on adding corals too soon if you did, I don't know, I don't keep them yet. The bacteria on the rock as well as in your filter, providing it has matured, will bring down the levels. It takes time...My tank took almost 2 months to cycle fully. Did the tank ever comlplete the cycle before the addition of the LR and Coral?
Old 01-25-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
when you say
Quote:
4 inch of live coral
Do you mean crushed coral substrate? Or litrially a 4" living coral ?

What are your nitrite and nitrate readings specificly?

Nitrite is the second phase of your ammonia cycle and it is still toxic to fish. Nitrate is not toxic to fish and comes after the nitrite is converted to a safe form. But nitrate can be harmful to corals and other inverts.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:01 PM   #4

Sorry, I meant 4" thick of crushed coral. The readings were (roughly as they were measeued on a chart), Nitrate 110mg amd Nitrite 1.6mg.
The chap in the shop had said when I first fill the tank with water start the skimmer as it would'nt cause any problems as there are no proteins in the water for it to skim
Old 01-25-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There is some minor debate as to when someone should begin skimming. I dont see a problem with skimming from the outset. Sure it MAY increase the lenght of your cycle but it wont hurt your tank.

WOW. 8O 110 Nitrate at this early in the game...

So at this stage there are no fish in the tank? Was your live rock cured? What did it smell like?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #6

Yes the live rock was cured, and it smelled OK (like the ocean), it looks OK too, plenty of red purple green etc. I am going to take another test now just to be doubly sure of my last readings
Old 01-25-2003, 12:36 PM   #7

Forgot to mention that there is no fish or inverts in the tank, just the live sand and live rock

Don't know what I am talking about, visit http://www.arrl.org/ and www.rsgb.org
pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #8

OK, water retest has shown that Nitrate is about 50, and Nitrate about 2

Old 01-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #9

Water Chemistry

I take it that the Nitrite is .50 PPM?
An Nitrate 20 PPM?

Or the other way around.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:09 PM   #10

Sorry, Nitrate is 50PPM, and Nitrite is 0.2PPM, which is why I am concerned.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com