Someone help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silvabul10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple of question. I have a 55 gallon tank with 30 pounds live sand and about 80 pounds of live rock. The tank has been running for about 6 months in my house and 2 years in another. How often and how much water should I be changing. Second, do I ever do anything with the bio balls or just leave them alone. Third, my stonefish's eyes have been very cloudy, what could that be caused by. The ph is at 8.1 the nitrites are at 0 but the nitrates are sky high (100).

nitrates are way too high. 50 is the 'danger' zone in my opinion on a fish only tank...if you have a reef setup, you want nitrates no higher than 10ppm, but 0 is ideal.

You should probably be draining 25% of the water every 2 weeks, or 10-15% per week.

Really need to get those nitrates down. I have a feeling the cloudy eyes of your fish could be from nitrate burn. Once the nitrates are down it should go away. Do a large water change using RO/DI water. You could also add some more cured LR. Good luck an let us know how it goes...Lando

Back
Top Bottom