Someone needs to invent!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am using a blower nozzle on a pump to blow hair algae off and then trapping it in my filter socks. Power heads are blowing it all around. Someone needs to make a coarse filter sock to hang on front of powerheads to catch it there also!! Won't that work?

Use suction rather than blowing. It will only spread out when blowing. Use a toothbrush and a 3/8 inch plastic tube to suck it out during partial water change. Best if you can remove rock and brush them inside bucket with tank water. You need to cut down on feeding and lights to control it. Get hermit crabs and turbo snail to really clean them out.

I have a ton of hermit crabs. About 5 turbo snails. And about 50 small snails. 2 sea hares. Doesn't seem like they are eating much. 110 gall tank. Not to mention the tangs. It is 30 inches deep so the rocks are really hard to get to. Taking the rocks out would be almost impossible bc I have quite a few corals glued in place. I am also afraid if I disturb too much I will crash my tank. I am sucking it out when I do a water change but the Elgae is short and I only suck a small amount loose. Playing around with a stiff bristle brush taped to a stick to try to scrub it and suck in the same spot. Need 4 arms. Phospate is the problem. Have new filters coming for rodi unit. Is bulk reef supply Gfo better than phosguard.

Your CUCs may be are overwhelmed. They will eat hair algae when short or about to sprout. You may need more turbos and your hermits seems too many. How bad is your phosphate? Have total darkness for one day and then shorten time. GFO or Phosguard works almost the same.

Phosphate levels check .10 I am sending water sample off tomorrow to water testing Svc in Colorado. Would love to post those results and have you look at them. I do have all the tests but it was a way for someone to check me as I'm learning. I am literally spending an hour a day every afternoon on this thing! Getting frustrated. New filters for rodi unit and 25 gall water changes every week for a while and see how it goes? Bought more powerheads last week. Now I have four hooked up to a Red Sea wavemaker. Can hear them ticking as they are cutting on in the room next to my bedroom!!!!! I hope no one ever asks me if they should get a reef tank.

A test kit is a must for a reef keeper. Anything can go wrong anytime and having one you will be able to correct it sooner before it gets worse. I have same phosphate reading but my tank is clean. I only have soft corals but once I get the phosphate down, I will start getting sps and lps.

Phosphate levels check .10 I am sending water sample off tomorrow to water testing Svc in Colorado. Would love to post those results and have you look at them. I do have all the tests but it was a way for someone to check me as I'm learning. I am literally spending an hour a day every afternoon on this thing! Getting frustrated. New filters for rodi unit and 25 gall water changes every week for a while and see how it goes? Bought more powerheads last week. Now I have four hooked up to a Red Sea wavemaker. Can hear them ticking as they are cutting on in the room next to my bedroom!!!!! I hope no one ever asks me if they should get a reef tank.

I have Korilia power heads and a red sea wavemaster enroute for my 110 gal as well. I was concerned about the clicking at pump start and found a utube video to fix the problem. Basically I went to Home Depot and bought 1/4" teflon washers ($.19 each) and you cut a small part out and push them onto the shaft (between the blade and magnet side). I fixed one and no more clicking. Still have to do other 3 even tho 2 don't click, but I'm still waiting on wavemaker.

Don't you have the problem that the pumps start in reverse when turned back on? My Koralias do this unfortunatelly. This is the reason why I can't use my wavemaker.

I have the evo, which I heard don't do that. Mine are only on a timer right now (so 1 cycle per day) and they have never gone into reverse. I'm crossing my fingers they will be ok on the wavemaster.

Go to utube and search "hydor Evo noise" and watch the fix video. Easy and cheap. Worked for one of mine so far.

I have the evo, which I heard don't do that. Mine are only on a timer right now (so 1 cycle per day) and they have never gone into reverse. I'm crossing my fingers they will be ok on the wavemaster.

evos do do this there is a rubber bumber on the front grille that stops them from going in reverse, but i have had about four of them break and then the power heads go in reverse

Put a transfer pump in the tank with an empty media bag over the exit hole. Put a 2 foot hose on the suction side. As I was scrubbing the hair algae I kept the suction hose close. The algae was then trapped in the media bag. Worked really good! My tank is just too darn deep.

Back
Top Bottom