Someone please give me some ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK as you all might know I had a perk that died not to long ago. He would not eat for some reason. I went to the store and found out what they fed him. I tried one type of food and he was dead the next morning, Im guessing from starving. I have had bad luck with a goby and another perc jumping from the tank months ago. Now I went out today and bought me a cool orange banded goby. He was the only one they had in the store and they told me he had been there for a couple weeks so they knew he was hardy.

I took him home. I acclimated him 1/2cup tank water every 20-25 minutes until I had double the amount of water I started with.

Since I had problems with fish jumping before I went out today and bought egg crate which is now on top of my glass.

Came home tonight and he has jumped out through the whole by the HOB filter. WHY ARE THEY JUMPING????

As of this morning:

PH=8.2
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
Ammonia=0
SG: 1.023

I am really getting bummed and so is my wallet! I want a damn saltwater tank but I cant take much of this much longer. I have had numerous FW tanks and have had maybe 2-3 fish die ever!

Also I know I shoudl probally get a hood but the temps in my room stay pretty warm. I have a hard enough time keeping the tank cool with nothing on the top of the tank (besides the crate).

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sounds like just some bad luck if you ask me. Gobies are known jumpers. I had one jump ship then I purchased an open back hood for my tank and If they really want to jump, I welcome they try.

I thought about making walls around the vunerable parts of the tank, mainly the back wehre the HOB filter is. That way if they jump they will just hit the wall. I think I have spent like 60 bucks on 4 fish that have all jumped. 2 jumped together and now this one. I finally thought I was being smart with the crate and was all happy I was finally going to have a fish for a while and now this crap.

Is there something wrong with my tank? Im starting to like my inverts more and more :p

Like Dragonforce said, probably just bad luck. Maybe there is something in your tank that is freaking out your fish and causing them to jump. Just a thought. By "freaking out" I mean some critter (fish, invert, whatever) that is scaring them so they are jumping out of the water as defense.

Sorry to hear that Civicman. I have no idea why your fish are jumping. But, gobies are known jumpers. I wouldn't give up on the clowns. Sounds like your last one may have been wild caught. Try to find a captive bred clown and have them show you it is eating before you buy it. In such a small tank, you're limited to small fish and unfortunately, that would include alot of the known jumpers. Maybe you could try a basslet like a royal gramma or chalk bass. Or one of the smaller cardnalfish. Or you could get a damselfish. They come in lots of colors, are cheap and hardy. Good luck.

Gobies are known jumpers. I have a dragon goby asnd pink spotted goby. So far so good for two years. I read an article one time about a charge in the water sometimes causes fish to jump. I dont know if its true but it could be. I hate to bring up the ole ground probe because it brings up lots of controversy but make sure you dont have a defective equipement. (powerhead)

Back
Top Bottom