Something ATE my serpent star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had an orange serpent star in my tank. he used to come out all the time. The last week or so I have noticed that he has been hiding alot. I had some issues with my water quality so I thought it was that. now I came home and it is like raw carnage there are pieces of this poor little guy EVERYWHERE!!! Something ripped all his legs off. I think he is dead but of course is in the hardest corner to get at. But who would have done that. The tank is a 20xh with a 1 wc seahorse, a scissortail goby, a blue gudgeon goby and a small chalk bass. I have a few corals and a clean up crew you know shrim, hermits, snails.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Christina

Water quality can definitely do it. I've found Hermits to be excellent cleaner-uppers. If he died from other causes, they'd still have shredded the body and made a meal out of it. I believe this explains several "missing" fish. When something dies (granted, they've all been small inverts, no fishies yet - hopefully not for several years), I don't even take it out of the tank because they gobble it before it can degrade the water quality. Makes my job a lot easier.

-glares at the shrimp that decided to die behind the LR-

Yep happened to my friends tank during the hurricane when her temp when up in her tank, it just fell into little pieces. Her peppermint shrimp had a hay day! Funny, she had 3 other stars that made it just fine too :?:

Yeah i have another star who seemed fine yesterday but I have not seen him today???? mmmm... well my qualit was not terrible my pH dropped just a little to about 7.8 but only for a little while and my nitrates were around 80 BUT now they are better and other things are fine. I guess maybe he was week or something.

Thanks
Christina

Yes, I agree that is was most likely water quality. Other than that, the clean up crew was just doing their job.

Back
Top Bottom