Something ELSE besides mantis and pistol that clicks !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
So some of you know I Was having issues with a 15 gallon tank @ work.. IT's all good now.. 2 Damsels and a few days later all good...

Well to test the waters on my tank before I put the damsels in I caught this crab in my home tank...(pic below)

Tank was DEAD nothing in it.. .
Added the crab to the tank and he survived so i bought 2 damsels and put them in. Been happy for a week...
Then last night guess what I hear..?
CLICKING !
These guys make the same sound almost as a pistol or a mantis...
I couldn't belive it...

So folks if you have a mysterious clicks or pops, it can be one of these as well.
Thanks Elise for the pic I stole it...
img_274729_0_6d3dcc6d23505d10dc396eb64c8e6a30.jpg

I have the same exact crab in my tank! actually i had two, and one killed my firefish when it was in it's hole. i got one out, but still have another. and i hear clicking all the time in my tank.... but it could also be a mantis...hopefully i'll get this sucker out and know for sure!!

I bet it's this guy...
Mine is LOUD !
I know I don't have a mantis, no empty snail or crab shells...
and hours of IR Night vision footage

Today I heard alot of clicking from my main tank, very different from the Mantis clicks I hear from Dr. Evil(the Mantis who lives on my desk). After some investigating I saw that a cerith snail was bouncing against the glass from the current.

I've heard pistols can be very loud, I've never heard one personally though.

well, got the other crab out! but i still hear clicking so it definitely wasnt the crab :( oh well, at least i got him, just dont know what to do w/ it

I have a Mantis in my tank for 3 months and just saw him for the first time last week. You think after all that time and all the hours spent on the tank I would have seen him before. But he is small and hides in the LR. I imagine he was very tiny back when I added the LR. He just went un-noticed.
I also have a crab similar to the one pictured above,

I'd say anything is possible as far as what is causing your clicking sounds

Been working on getting both of them out of the Tank ASAP

While the scientific name is beyond me right now, the crab pictured is a burrowing rock crab. He can actually dig holes in your live rock hence the clicking sounds. They are meat eaters and pose a similar threat to snails as a mantis less the explosion of snail shells. These guys are just strong enough to rip em' right out. Here is a link to an article writen last month in reefkeeping: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/nftt/index.htm

Scott "chevy" chevalier, the guy who wrote is local and a friend of mine.

HTH,
R-

sumphead said:
While the scientific name is beyond me right now, the crab pictured is a burrowing rock crab. He can actually dig holes in your live rock hence the clicking sounds. They are meat eaters and pose a similar threat to snails as a mantis less the explosion of snail shells. These guys are just strong enough to rip em' right out. Here is a link to an article writen last month in reefkeeping: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/nftt/index.htm

Scott "chevy" chevalier, the guy who wrote is local and a friend of mine.

HTH,
R-

I seen the lil bastard rip a nassirus from his shell before I could get to him...

i just got two more of what i think are the same crabs but smaller. they were eating at a snail that fell upside down. unfortunately, the snail is dead, but at least i got another two out! ill post a pic of all three later...i have them in a jar for now.

my guys are more orange.. I'll snag a pic of the one I'm gonna grab from my bedroom tank.. the clicking gets annoying...
I hate killing things but he's gotta go...
Cup of freezign water in the freezer ready to accept him..
I knwo no one @ the LFS will want him !

ok i know this is a really old post, but i'm curious if any one ever found out if these crabs were responsible for the clicking or not. cause i have 3 in my tank and hear clicking all the time.

Back
Top Bottom