Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2004, 07:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

NIce. Best guess is some kind of clam or similar that has been there so long it's grown over with coraline.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

From the shape of what you have circled, I'd say it was a turkey wing clam. I have several of these and they do make noise and hate being bothered. Watch it and see if the narrow end opens up. I have several of these and they all have stuff growing on them. One even has a smaller bi-valve growing on it. When a snail or hermit gets on them they get irritated and will open and close repeatedly and make sharp moves up and down. I could be wrong but mine act exactly like you are saying. Especially when moved or aggravated they hunker down tight against the rock. HTH

Old 10-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
And these clams never move from their spot on the rock? I'm gonna do some work on the QT tank today and get it more to ideal tank conditions(it doesn't have a heater, right now), and see what happens. I noticed late last night also, that another piece on my rock did the exact same thing. This was MUCH larger though, but on the very end, I did see this brown flat stuff opening out of the tip. Thanks so much for the replies so far. I'm gonna try and get another pic of the larger piece, and do some research on clams.

Any more input is welcomed! Thank you guys! 8)

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice piece of liverock, are those tube polyps covered all over the rock???
Old 10-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

My clams have never moved. Although the rock has been moved alot, they don't seem to care. I've had them for over two years. They are tough/hardy and made it through the tank cycling. I really don't know much about them and never was able to find much on them. I don't do anything special for them and they seem to be doing fine. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:18 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Nice piece of liverock, are those tube polyps covered all over the rock???

I think so, yes. lol. Whatever they are, they are plentiful.

Quote:
My clams have never moved. Although the rock has been moved alot, they don't seem to care. I've had them for over two years. They are tough/hardy and made it through the tank cycling. I really don't know much about them and never was able to find much on them. I don't do anything special for them and they seem to be doing fine. Good luck.

Thanks, Fluff. These clams (yes, I found another) move quite a bit. Never move spaces, but just up and down, or side to side. Very interesting. The mouth, or whatever it is that it lets out, is brown. Very cool creature. Anyone know what kind this might be?

Thanks for the posts, guys and gals. !

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

By never moving, I meant they never leave their spot. They do move, almost like a hop up and down when aggravated and when calm, they sit open with brown almost feathery stuff sticking out. I'm sorry I never found the real name for them. They are neat.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:18 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'm sorry I never found the real name for them. They are neat.
Speak not of it, lol. It's just good to know what I have so I can look into it a bit more. Seems as if we have the same clam, with the brown sticking out. Thanks again Fluff, and everyone else. Been a huge help. 8)

Old 10-25-2004, 09:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You got yourself a real piece of "live" rock.....heck it moves and makes sounds....mine just lay there like a rock in the sand....LOL

Seriously, that is pretty cool. If you find out what it is, be sure to post. This has tipped my interest a bit.
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:09 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Something INSIDE of my Live Rock? [Updated w/ Pics]

Finally got this mother of a rock into my main tank. Here are a few pics

Tags
live, liverock, pics, rock, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com