Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Something INSIDE of my liverock? *[updated w/ pics]*

I bought a new piece of LR from the LFS today. I've had great luck with this beautiful rock in the past, always containing lots of inverts, life, etc.

When I took it out of it's bag when I got it home, I was looking at it in depth, turning it around, etc. before plopping it into my QT tank. When I touched this one piece of rock (almost sort of...attached to the liverock, not flush) it was very loose, like it was going to come detached. I wiggled it a bit, just to feel it, when it let out this kinda low in volume, but high pitched sound, and sorta retracted into the rock a bit. When I went to move it again, it was solid as a brick wall, not moving an inch, almost like it had planted itself a little more securley back into a hole or something.

This particular piece looks like it had been there for a while, it has hard corals on the outside of it, some coraline algae, but I'm curious what it is, if it is anything. Does live rock do this? Any ideas at all? I was kinda scared, lol.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
first off i wouldnt put LR in a QT especially if theres copper in there it will kill all your inverts.=!!!!!!!!!

otherwise my guess is that it was some kind of invert that was living in the rock that was on the process of moving and ran back into its home when you scared it. Plenty of inverts make noises. Without seeing it it would be hard to identify, maybe if you describe the peice better we could help

Old 10-23-2004, 11:40 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It is not really a QT tank, persay. It's more of my temporary holding spot, and a place for new fish, etc. There is nothing in that tank that isn't in my established tank.

I'll try and get a good picture of the piece I am talking about. Would the invert be large enough to move a chunk of rock out of it's way though? This is kind of exciting for me.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and get a good pic.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have on one of my rock, a whole group of closely pack bivalves of some kind. The rock kind of acts the same way where these bivalves reside.
If I touch the spot its like a piece of the rock retracts. Kinda funny.
I wouldn't be concerned, just another part of your little world in there.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

what sizes are we dealing with ie= the rocks
Old 10-23-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The rock is 8 pounds, and it's about 7 inches long, and around 3-4 inches thick.

quarryshark, this is what I was thinking kinda..something like a bivalve, but the sound it made, and etc. just cause me to wander a bit. I have a very small set of bivalves already in my tank, but they do nothing like this. Very interesting, none the less. I'm off to get as good of a pic as I can. Thank you for the posts, so far.

Old 10-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coooooooooooooolllllllllllllllll

Old 10-24-2004, 12:42 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Okey dokey, I outlined the piece that moves in white there. Sorry for the bad pic, but it's the best I can do. Upon closer inspection, there seems to be a hole or tunnel that leads to under this particular piece of rock. And to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I tried it out again, and it did the same thing. Was wobbly, then made a noise, retracted, and got stiff as a board.

Still thinking bivalves? Any other ideas? Thank you for the replies!

Old 10-24-2004, 12:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Thats what I think, hard to tell for sure though. Wow, nice rock!!
Old 10-24-2004, 06:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lots of stuff on that rock. put it in the qt and wait till it opens. You should be able to get a better pic then

Tags
live, liverock, pics, rock, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com