Something is eating starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southern Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 72 bow with a foxface,yellow tang it is reef safe. i noticed this afternoon tht something ate part of my starfish one leg is missing and 1 is almost gone. plz help

Welcome to AA!

What kind of star is it? Many of the starfish have feeding requirements that can't be met in an aquarium and they slowly starve to death. You notice this slow death by the arms falling off and the star wasting away.

Welcome to AA!

What kind of star is it? Many of the starfish have feeding requirements that can't be met in an aquarium and they slowly starve to death. You notice this slow death by the arms falling off and the star wasting away.
i can not remember the name but it is orange looking and i remember it is reef safe. some type of coral tht has been on 1 of my live rock chewed on 2. i hve another starfish same type but nothing as happen 2 it. do u think this could be a worm or something else that has got n my tank? i just found out that my star is a marble sea star and i hve 2 so do u think 1 attack the other

Like the Capt. said it's more then likely that there isn't enough food for the two starfishes and one is wasting away. They drop legs as a way to conserve energy. Also as a way of reproducing because it knows it's dying.

If this is a fairly new tank I would say under a yr than two is too many. Not enough in the tank for them to eat. Also neither one was exposed to air were they when added to the tank.

Like the Capt. said it's more then likely that there isn't enough food for the two starfishes and one is wasting away. They drop legs as a way to conserve energy. Also as a way of reproducing because it knows it's dying.
so if it is dying is there anyway i can save it?

Most of the time once the star starts going downhill it`s hard to keep it going that way. If anything might help it would be pristine water conditions. Can you answer my previous post?

If this is a fairly new tank I would say under a yr than two is too many. Not enough in the tank for them to eat. Also neither one was exposed to air were they when added to the tank.
yeah its been bout a year and no it was not exposed 2 air when added 2 the tank

Back
Top Bottom