Something is happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
First there is some cyano growth.

It looks like some cyanobacteria has been growing on my GSP colony. I moved my colony a few weeks ago and there was a jelloesque growth on the bottom of the rock which seems to have now started growing over the rest of it. Since I noticed it started growing on the colony itself they stopped opening.

75748-albums12608-picture62016.jpg

My finger leather and kenya tree are also not opening up
There are large die offs of coralline algae

However all my other corals are doing great (minus the ones that i've been having long term problems with)

My rescued acropora frag is growing like a weed and no longer having tissue recession and my rescued birdsnest isn't visibly growing but it is recovering from bleaching.

My other birdsnest frag is also growing very well.

Duncan, frogspawn, torch, and favia are all open and doing well.
All of my other softies are doing great.

My ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate all read at 0

pH is at 8.4

Look up brown jelly disease and see if that matches with what's gonig on.

How are your alk, cal and mg levels?

I don't currently have a test kit for mag.

dKH is at 6
Calc is at 380

Those numbers actually surprise me because just a few days ago calc was at 440 and my dKH was at 8

This is a pic of the underside of the GSP

75748-albums12608-picture62017.jpg

Looks like some sort of sponge growing on the bottom. Strange that alk and cal would drop so fast. Water change since last test?

Well since your sps corals are growing fast I'd guess they are taking the cal and alk out of your water and you'll need to replace it. Soft coral in my experience are the first to let you know when your alk drops. If I hit 6 my zoa's will all close and my duncan isn't happy either. Try getting you alk up to 8 and your calcium back in the 400's and see if everyone opens back up.

Those gsp do look like they have a sponge growing on them...

I bought some kalkwasser as soon as I set up my tank so I guess ill run a dip tomorrow morning.

Although, with my ph being 8.4 wont I have issues with it raising too high?

Baking soda should minimally raise your ph and is pretty cheap. You can distilled white vinegar to lower your PH if nessacery but take baby steps. To big of a change to quick will kill stuff

Well, I got my parameters in line with what they should be and also did a water change. Both of the corals have opened now except for the kenya tree. So now I have no idea what it could be unless it's magnesium which is something I can't test for.

Back
Top Bottom