something is happening in my new tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neoginn

Aquarium Advice Regular
1. the most visible thing i see is that there is brown "algae" that looks kinda hairy and is growing in patches on the sand. oh and its play sand. what can i do to stop that ugly stuff?

2. there are worm like creatures (not flat worms) that are covering some live rock. they are small and white. most do not move and seem to be covering pieces of dead matter that died off while cycling. some tiny worms move. should i be worried about this?

Describe where you are in the process. Cycled yet? How long ago didja finish if so? What critters are in there? What are you water readings? How long are you lighting too?

On #1 - New tanks experience diatom growth in the very early stages. Look that up and see if it looks familiar.
On #2 - again, where are you in the cycle? If finished, a clean up crew is needed and most likely a decent water change and sucking some of that loose dead matter off the rocks and sand bed.

I like to medium brush to get a lot of loose already dead matter off of uncured rock when cycling with it. Often, there's still enuf dying matter left after scrubbing to cycle anyway. And it gets you off the more serious clean up - where it sounds like you might be now.

The algea is coming from excessive nutrients in your tank. I`m trying to remember where you are on your tank. Are you cycling now? Have any fish? Tell us where you are on your tank. Your info says it`s in the works. Also get a pic if you can on the worms on post them on the ID forum and I`m sure they`ll figure out what they are.

Think he means as far as the cycle. Can you test it for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom