Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Something Strange??? You gotta read this!

Awhile ago I posted and asked about something sticking out of my LR that was glowing a neon green color! Well last night after lights out and a game of Madden 06 I was peeking in on my Nano and noticed again there was something sticking out from under a rock that was GLOWING!!!

So I grab my little LED flashlight and my wooden skewer reached in and moved the rock a little (tiny little rock with a Tonga Shroom) when I moved it there was a Brittle Star under it and he quickly scurried away. Well when he scurried away what was left was one of his tentacles and it was still alive!!!!!! amazingly enough the Brittle and his seperated arm moved in oposite directions and the brittle climbed into another rock crevice and his arm went into an empty hermit shell!!!!!

Now at first I thought no way, and figured it must have been the beers I drank when I got home, but I wiped my eyes 8O and looked again and as the arm was CRAWLING across the sand to the shell it kept emiting a bright green glow!!!!

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Or am I crazy?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How many beers didja have anyway? Like asking for water parameters, we've gotta determine all supporting evidence before we can diagnose.

Seriously though, I had a brittle leg that kept moving for about 3 weeks. It began to turn white from the tip and I was told that if it couldn't eat, it would starve anyway. I got rid of it. But I'd like to know also, is the tale about brittle legs regenerating into a whole star one of those urban myths???

Back to the green glow...how many beers was it again?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No seriously ... I only had 2 Pauli's Girl, so I know I wasn't drunk!! LOL .... I wish I had some supporting evidence but I don't!!!! I'm gonna see if I can catch it on my new digi that takes video and stream it to the board. Would someone be able to host it for me?

BUT like always now that I want it to happen again it won't!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 11-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you seen that show 'Surface'? I say destroy it before it destroys us ALL!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have seen my brittle stars glow as well, however they only do it when something disturbes them at night. They have some bioluminescent cells that from what I can remember are used to attract prey.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Oh shoot!! I was having too much fun with the "beer" impact on his sighting. Now you've come along and explained it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I could be wrong I might have been those beers.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL ... to funny!!! Now here I am thinking I have ET stars in my tank!!! I'm still going to try and capture this phenomena on video tonight!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 11-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://explorations.ucsd.edu/back/ex..._Flow_V7n1.pdf

check out page 4
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice find mykpoz!!! I searched and searched and came up with nothing ... now that was probably a result of the beers!!!

I amazed ... I didn't know starfish could glow! Very Cool!!! Now only if they'd come out of the rocks!!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002

Tags
strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com