somethings happening with my featherduster, need input plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
first question is how do feather dusters breed or multiply? isnt it asexual and just seperates somehow? anyways i got a pretty decent sized purple feather duster from my lfs and i currently have him in my substrate. i've noticed that he moved his tail up to the surface and now he has formed two tails above the surface is this normal for them to "shed" their tail and form a new one? or do you think something else is happening?

Re: somethings happening with my featherduster, need input p

Jonathan G. said:
first question is how do feather dusters breed or multiply? isnt it asexual and just seperates somehow?
They reproduce sexually and are broadcast spawners.

i've noticed that he moved his tail up to the surface and now he has formed two tails above the surface is this normal for them to "shed" their tail and form a new one? or do you think something else is happening?
Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you talking about the feathery crown or the other end?

Cheers
Steve

the other end, not the feathery end. i buried it in the substrate and it slowly moved to the top of it and now has formed two tails instead of one. is this normal?

Jonathan G. said:
is this normal?
It is more than possible, just not a usual occurance. While they will typically reproduce sexually, they are capable of asexual reproduction as well. If that is indeed what's happened, one will eventually move.

Pic?

Cheers
Steve

Try reaching in there and gently pinching both "tails." My guess is that one or both of them may be empty. My feather duster created a couple of "branches" to his tube as I moved it around the tank. For the longest time I thought that my duster had a "U" shaped tube, with both head and tail above the substrate, but actually the duster had broken through the tube under the substrate and anchored deep in the sand. The other branch of the tube was empty.

I would suggest you leave it be. It will sort itself out sooner or later. Curiousity could kill the cat so to speak :wink:

Cheers
Steve

yea true that only thing im worried about it that his one tail is about half an inch from a piece of rock and i dont want him to attach himself to the rock.

Back
Top Bottom