Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Something's wrong here...

I went into petsmart last night and I saw a guy with two clowns in his hand... Shocked that maybe petsmart now carried SW I asked where he got them... He told me he got them from the LFS about 20 min away. I am still not sure why he brought them into petsmart (they are not dogs pal.. they don't like to be walked) but then I observed him buying snails for his tank... Can FW snails live in a SW tank? Is this guy just an ***? I didn't want to interject because I wasn't sure. The 13yr old girl working the fish department (that told us that the LSWFS didn't know what they were talking about) promptly sold him the snails for his SW tank... is she as dumb as them?

Old 09-29-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
FW snails will die in a salt tank. This is because their body has no way of controling the salt levels. The FW snail will in all rights probably die from dehidration even though its under the water.

The guy probably didnt know what he was doing.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually it was a chick that sold it... it was just funny to me because she was badmouthing the other fish store while selling FW snails to a guy who was obviously putting them in a SW tank... the freakin clowns were in his hand.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
u sure he only had one tank, maby he didnt wnat the clowns to over heat or get to cold on the car?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

First off what are you doing in petsmart?? Hopefully only buying dog food. Thoes people are dumber than a bag of hammers! They dont know nothing there high school kids working part time. They could'nt care less what they sell or you buy! Wrong place to go for anyone seeking aquarium advice. But then they probly dont know about this sweet site.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I really wish you woudlnt make such generalizations. A store is only as good as its help. True most of the time stores like that are stuck with folks who are not overly knowlegable but there are stores whom have lucked out and have very knowleable employees.

I agree there is no way to know exactly what the prupose of the snails where. I for one have both FW and SW so it wouldnt be overly wrong for me to buy both FW and SW supplies/livestock all in the same trip.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was actually at a petsmart (just looking!) and the sales girl recomended I don't buy SW fish from there!
100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
from their store? petsmart dosent sell sw

i worked in one for a year before i transfered colleges, they dont sell sw its store policy. plus most of the people i worked with spelized in some area or another, me i helped people with fish having worked in many other petstores (they payed the best) fish stores, and having read hundreds of magazines, many books, and had my own tank for four years i felt i was pretty fit for the postion. Anyway the other employees specialized in reps., birds, and there was another fish guy, who new cichlids. i agree with fishfreak dont overgenrilze u never know whos listening, plus u never know y someone tells you what they do, that girl may have a very valid reason for believeing what she did, i know many of the background scenes at my other LFS's and there are many i wouldn't recomend because they dont care about the customers or animals, even though it may not seem so by the customer. Large stores may want your money but wont trick you out of it, many of the places LFS i use to work for would.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear-head
I was actually at a petsmart (just looking!) and the sales girl recomended I don't buy SW fish from there!
Your thinking petco... Honestly I don't know 100% for sure but where I live is kinda right by atlantic city... obviously I can't make statements for everyone but most people around here can barely afford an apartment (which most housing is) so I am not really convinced that many people would have two tanks especially one being a sw... Now once again I am not positive but he did have the clowns which leads me to believe that is what they were for. Also there is nothing wrong with petsmart... I never asked anyone for advice from there. I was buying some stuff for my tank... they sell some good SW products... I got a descent Aquaclear PH from there as well as every chemical you could need, including salt, for their website price. Much cheaper in the long run than shopping online.
Also for the record the only reason I live this close to AC is because I go to college in the neighboring town. I am not trying to make generalizations but it isn't a very wealthy area.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you sure about Petsmart? When I lived in the subarbs, Petsmart was the only store I went to, and I could have sworn I saw a few SW tanks.. I was just starting up my SW tank, and looking at their fish to get ideas.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com