Southdown Homedepot Sand - Oregon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaheli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anybody know if this stuff is available on the pacific coast? I would really like to get a couple bags. Also, how many 50lb backs will I need for a 55gal aquarium? I would like to have a little left over for my 10gal, but would like a good 3-4inch substrate bed on my 55 reef tank.

Thanks

--Micah

I have looked and tried to find this sand.. I have had many Home Depots try and order it but do to the time of the year I was not successfull.. You might want to wait under spring time or you can get the araganite aquarium sand from one of the sponsors here...

Want to join the Oregon Regional Forum.. Click on the link in my signature..

BTW welcome to AquariumAdvice..

HTH<
James

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, I'll go to HD tomorrow and check just to make sure, but if not, I'll ask them to special order it anyways... just to test them. hehe

Thanks,
Micah

I will be honest with you.. None of the stores in Oregon have it.. I had one Home Depot try and order it and they were unable to get any from any store that carried it due to it being winter.. They stated that if I want to buy 16 pallets at like 350.00 per pallet that they would be able to get it from the supplier.. As the supplier had a minimum of 16pallets per order.. I was trying to get 2 pallets and the home depot was very helpful in trying to get me some... We must have tried 10 or 15 different stores that stocked it usually but they all stated that they did not have any and would not be able to order any until spring time unless 16 pallets were ordered..

James

Grrr

Damn, that sucks a LOT! Unfortunately I do not want to wait until spring to set up my first reef. :) I will see if I can get some other stuff from ebay. I saw 50lb bags for 11 bucks on ebay... unfortunately he wanted 24 bucks for shipping or something. Which seemed like a lot.. is 35 bucks a lot for 1 50lb bag? I'll probably need 2, so maybe THAT would be cheaper with combined shipping... We'll see.. maybe somebody on this board can help me out and ship it to me.

--Micah

How much

How much sand will I need for a 55gal tank? I want a good 3-4 inch coat on the bottom. I think I have enough sources to buy from, just have to pick the most reliable/cheap one.. and need to know how many bags of each to get. :)

--Micah

i used about 60lbs for approx 2" sand bed in a 55gal tank.. if you are looking for about 3-4" then I would suggest getting at least 100-120lbs.. I did not like the Idea and looks of a DSB in my main tank but have considered doing a refuge in my sump with a DSB.. Feel free to catch me on Aim or yahoo listed in my postings..

James

Not sure how many reef clubs are in your area...but alot of them will order pallets of Southdown and sell it to their members at cost. Might check it out ;)

Not sure how many reef clubs are in your area...but alot of them will order pallets of Southdown and sell it to their members at cost. Might check it out
Well this is the only one that I found PNWMAS I have checked with them and there was no luck there either.. There was talk about driving to Boise, ID to get some a while back but I dont thing anyone wanted to make the drive...

HTH,
James

keep in mind also that this type of sand is HIGHLY seasonal as its primary use is for sand boxes and gardening etc.

I used two 50lb bags for my 55 gallon and got just about 4". but if you want some left over for a 10 gallon as well I would get a third bag and fill it first to whatever depth you want, then plunk the rest into your 55.

Back
Top Bottom