Spacing between lights and water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringwurm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a standard space size between the bottom of the lights and the top of the water I should shoot for when I build my new hood?

Greg

I keep 7-8 inches of clearance between the bottom of my MH pendant and the water's surface. Going lower than 6 inches could be problematic if water happens to get splashed on the bulb.

If you have a covering of some type over the bulbs I guess you could go lower than that. But heat would then become an issue.

Currently I will only be putting in PC lights but I am leaving space for MH in the center.

Is it common for people to put a sheet of plexiglass between the lights and the water?

Is it common for people to put a sheet of plexiglass between the lights and the water?

I think it is common for people to recommend it, but I think it is uncommon in practice..

:)

I don't have anything between my bulb and the water. I think you will find this pretty common with people who do not use a lid on the tank.

FWIW I just built my new hood and I used 1x12 lumber. I designed it this way because on a DIY site that has hood designs recommended 1x8 lumber for PC lights and 1x12 lights for MH due to heat and possibility of splash

Is it common for people to put a sheet of plexiglass between the lights and the water?[/quote]

I hung a pendant over my 30 gallon plexiglas hex and was disappointed that I wasn't getting that light rippling effect on the sand. I removed the plexiglass top and...lo and behold.. light rippling on the sand. The plexiglas was obviously cutting down on the light reaching the tank.

When I built my hood I put the lights 12" off the water's surface. You will find that the MH get burning hot to the touch and if you need to reach the back of the tank for what ever reason(cleaning) you do not want to touch the lamps.
As like the majority I don't have a lid on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom