Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thought I would write an update about what is going on.

After my last post I decided to go ahead and add some rock I got locally. The guy had it stored dry in his garage for about six months. I purchased about 30-40 lbs of it for $60. Some of it is really cool.

I figured it was completely dead, but after about two days in the tanks I had a small ammonia spike (about .50) and a huge nitrite spike (5.0 +). That began to cycle, and as it neared completion I added about 50 lbs of sand.

So right now I have a 4.5" DSB, about 55 lbs of live rock, and the most recent test showed a 0 for ammonia and 0 for nitrite (didn't test nitrate, as I figured there would be some nitrites).

I'm going to let it sit for a week or so and test a few times to make sure the cycle is complete, and save my money. Oh, and wait for this blasted sandstorm to finally clear. This will be the last time I add sand to a tank with water and rock already in it. What a disaster!

What I plan to get first is a pair of clownfish. After that I might get a pack of inverts for a CUC.

More on that later.

Spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
Next time poor the sand slowly through a piece of pvc pipe strait to the bottom, although there might have still been a small mess with your eggcrate like that.

95 Gallon reef system
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey another 55hex.... same here got a good deal on it, limited space to put a long tank.

looking good sofar keep posting updates
Bill_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm really noticing the drawbacks of the hex when it comes to aquascaping. Whew! But I think I have a nice design now that allows for space around and above the rocks, and even some real estate on the sand. I'll post some pictures after the sand storm is completely clear.

Spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote

55 gallon, build, fowlr, hex, hex tank, new build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com