Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Spawning behavior

What is the spawning behavior for clown fish?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No one care to comment?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not exactly sure, but i think the female (the larger of the two) is usually quite agressive to the male. Im sure she will be gaurding an area where the eggs are, if there are some. Not an expert tho
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The female (larger clown) will nip at the fins of the male. When that happens the male should submit and do a little shutter dance. It's quite fascinating. I have a YouTube video showing it:
Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was jw bc I have noticed one of mine is finally bigger than the other and she started "shaking" at the other one and was in middle tank away from everything...
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It starts the way Nu-Nu describes it, as a dominance establishment. Once that is out of the way, it can be weeks, or even years before the net stage. The male will pay more attention to the female's anal fin, and the female will get plump. When spawning is nearer, the two will begin to obsessively clean an area of rock or some other surface with both mouths and fins. This will be most likely very near whatever they have hosted, if anything. It will be in their territory, though.
When spawning is imminent, the female's ovipositor will become visible. Actual egg laying will probably be after dark. The female will lay her eggs and the male will follow to fertilize. They will guard the eggs until they hatch.
Once they hatch, if you want them to survive, they will need to be removed. The odds of clownfish fry surviving in a display tank are very slim.
There are some great articles and even entire books dedicated to breeding clownfish. It's a really fun read! I eventually hope to give it a try myself.
Hope this helps!

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, spawning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com