Speaking of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often are you cleaning your glass? I used to be able to go almost a week and now I'm getting a light brown film (in spots) in a matter of a day, two tops. I liked it better when it stayed clean longer. The algae seems diatom'ish in nature. Not slimey at all. Very dusty and blows away with the mag cleaner. It is starting to feel a little too frequent.

Is there something wrong causing this? I have no ugly algaes, my fuge contents aren't really *growing* exponentially, my trates are down under 10 (in spite of not changing water in a month--long story... I'm getting back on track with it). No traces of ammo nor trite. Everything in the tank (including my purple tang *whew*) is looking beautiful and healthy. My skimmer produces, but it isn't dark and it isn't a lot (next purchase is a G3 and a sump to stuff it in).

Thoughts?

It sounds like you have the same type of algae I do. I have to clean my glass every other day or so and it's not a slimy algae at all, it just kinda blows off when I sweep by with my MagFloat. However, I am also battling some annoying hair algae, and these two might be related. I will say, I noticed the increase in algae when I switched from PC to MH.

I know that probably doesn't help much, but at least you know you're not alone!

tripper

You're not alone. I have the same problem as well. I think it is common with an estabished system. I clean mine every 2 days. The back glass of course gets it quicker than the front. As tripper pointed out, it could be a combination of pc/MH, which is what I use currently. It is like a light brown dust, almost like a rust color that builds on the glass. It's amzing this can even grow with the filtration that I have in the tank.

Mike

I might be pointing out the obvious here so feel free to slap me if need be but you guys DO realize that MH lighting falls into the HID family of lights and that it's spectrum is IDEAL for vegatative plants.... Rite? I grow some of my own herbs indoors and use MH lighting for this... I have never even seen a saltwater aquarium in person (I'm trying to give you an idea of my experience).

Seeing as PC & MH lighting both give off a bluish spectrum favored by vegatative plants I don't think it has anything to do with the spectrum of lighting but rather the intensity of the light. Maybe that particular type of algae only grows under very intense light -which an MH would provide.

That's my .02 on the matter anyway.

Joe

The intensity of lighting indeed causes algae growth. However, this does provide food for my Tang and Angel on a constant basis. In order for most hard corals to thrive in a captive environment, it has to mimic the sun. MH is the closest thing available for this hobby currently.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom