Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Special Grade Reef Sand

Has anyone tried the Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand that Fosters & Smith carries? And did it stay out of the water column better than the Oolite for you? Was it really far from the pretty light color of the Oolite? I have found the Oolite is dissappearing from my refugium as well as the DSB because so much is in the water and being filtered out.

Do you know of anyone else besides F&S that carries it?

Thanks for any info.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used/use that sand. It's not sugar fine at all, so it won't blow around like the oolite. And yeah... it starts out pretty white. But that goes away quick enough!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for answering, Kurt. Do you think it works in the DSB as well/better than the OOLITE? And does your Goby like it? I will need to add it the the refugium also...this past batch of OOLITE seems to have been mostly powder.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Supposedly oolite is better in dsb applications because of the smaller grain sizes allowing fauna to easily maneuver within the layers, but I have yet to see a problem using larger sized sand particles. As for gobies it makes no difference unless you have a sand-sifting specie where larger particles could possibly become a danger to them.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup... what Innovator said.

I have a "quasi-DSB" (in that nasty no-man's land of 4"+) and I have no issues. And my yellow clown goby isn't a sand sifter, so he could care less. But if I had a sand sifter, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't like it.

Tags
reef, sand, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com