Special Requirements for Gigas Clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased a 3 inch Gigas Clam for my tank.

My water is perfect no2-0, no3-o, NH3/4-0.......I keep it at 78 because I was told clams like a little cooler water. He is under 9.6 watts per gal of CF lighting, which is what type of lighting he was under at the LFS.

How often should I feed, and what should I feed?

I feed mine phytoplankton about 2-3 times a week. They like the sand. As far as flow goes, you will know when they arent happy. They wont open up all the way. They can move on their own to a certain extent. If you have a pretty open bottom they will find where they want to be.

Clams under 3 inches benefit from regular feedings of phhytoplankton. DTs is a good one. Over three inches and they become much more light-dependant. Gigas tend to be substrate dwellers so stronger lighting is a must. Since they reside on the substrate they will need a more intense light to allow usable light to reach them. Depending on depth of your tank, CF may not be enough to house this animal long term.

lando said:
Depending on depth of your tank, CF may not be enough to house this animal long term.

My tank is only 12 inches deep, it is a 10 gal.

IMHO lighting is more personal opinion as to which works and which doesnt, as long as it is intense enough. I keep SPS frags in my tank as well and they have not lost any color, but have grown a little.

My tank is only 12 inches deep, it is a 10 gal
I would think you would be fine in 10gal. Just know that t. gigas is the largest species of Tridacna clams. My LFS currently has one that is over 18in long.
IMHO lighting is more personal opinion as to which works and which doesnt, as long as it is intense enough.
You are very much correct about intensity. However, requirements are well documented and go much farther then opinion.

I believe they are one of the faster growers. I had one that added about 4-6" of shell in about 6 months. If you place them in the sand, I would recommend you place a flat rock or something under ther sand, under the clam. I placed mine in the sand to see if it liked the spot and before I knew it, it had attached itself to the glass bottom. The clam was later lost when I tried to move the clam while cleaning the glass :(

Back
Top Bottom