Species on Live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
All,
I looked at a hole that i have in my live rock and noticed white vine looking structures. Just thought it was some growth that came on the live rock when i purchased it. I turned my power head off and noticed that when i did this about 5 blue colored feathers crawled out of the end of the tubes they were contained in. I also noticed when i ran the Magnetic Cleaner near them, they sunk quickly back into their tubes. There are 3 of them and they all do the same thing. I did not purchase these. They dont quite look like featherdusters i have seen in pictures they are very thin and again only have 4 or 5 feathers all in line. What are they? I was thinking maybe i got lucky and there were eggs on the live rock from the pet store :). If these are anything worth while, how much would they sell for in the pet store? Just wondering what these things are and how i got them or how i can take care of them if i need to as they are beautiful!

They are just small dusters. They are good for the tank because they are excellent filter feeders.

So i just got lucky and had some eggs on the rock or do they grow eventually on all live rock? How much would they be worth if the pet store sold them? Do i have to spot feed them ?

Those are different species of feather dusters that have probably matured. Ever seen the difference between christmas tree rock feather dusters versus regular feather dusters, or pygmy feather dusters? Also, pink hawaiin feather dusters are another kind that are smaller, but feather dusters nonetheless. With specie variations, comes appearance variations right? :)

what do I know, I was just surprised as OP to find out I had some in the first place. :)

True, hitchhikers are always a great perk of LR. But then again.. you could get some nasty HH's too.. like aptaisia or some hydroids

Back
Top Bottom