Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Specific Gravity

After u do a water change how long should u wait to check the SG? Mine before was 1.020

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You should check the salinity of the new water before it's added to the tank and it should match what's in the tank unless your trying to raise or lower the tank salinity. But anyway, you can check it a few minutes after you finish the water change. 1.020 is way too low. Should be 1.026.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I knew was too low Thats y wanted do water change ... I didn't check it after bc didn't know and forgot this morning but it's always been at 1.024 since its been running.... I'll check as soon as get home and see if it went back up
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
You should check the salinity of the new water before it's added to the tank and it should match what's in the tank unless your trying to raise or lower the tank salinity. But anyway, you can check it a few minutes after you finish the water change. 1.020 is way too low. Should be 1.026.
I don't think you'd get an accurate reading after "only a couple" minutes after the PWC. I wait at least an hour before rechecking salinity and then adjust. I keep mine between .024 and .025
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I keep mine at .023 and that seems fine, is this too low?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

I agree. I would wait a couple hours after you just mixed the saltwater to test the salinity. Checking right after you've added the salt won't be very accurate I would think.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0
I agree. I would wait a couple hours after you just mixed the saltwater to test the salinity. Checking right after you've added the salt won't be very accurate I would think.
I was actually referring to after you put the water in the tank and then test the tanks salinity.

As far as mixing the actual water to be used in pwc....I drop a couple powerheads in the bucket and let it mix for 24hrs. I definitely wouldn't mix water and then use it after only a couple minutes or even 1 hour. All the salt wouldn't be dissolved and your reading would more than likely be low.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

Oh yeah, that too.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I buy my water pre-made from my LFS
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so here's my understanding of the situation. If you check the SG right after mixing new water, you can get a false high reading because of bubbles from the mixing. A couple hours will probably sort that out. After adding the newly mixed water to the dt, I always wait an hour to be sure it's been thoroughly mixed into the tank's water, though I'm probably being conservative. With good flow, it should be mixed in pretty quickly.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravity, spec, specific gravity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com