Spider Reflectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was surfing the net on these and I came up with this really good review. I thought I would share it with you guys.
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/feb/product/default.asp

However It kind of confused me on the point that the reflectors have to be mounted perpendicular. This would not be a problem in the canopy Im going to build since it is 18" wide and the spiders measure 16" in length. However, how could I mount my 4 96w pcs and my two normal output actnics in the same hood and put a reflector on them?

Boy, I could really use some responces to this thread, as Im going to start my canopy this weekend. I would like to use spiders but not sure(read question above). Any help would really be appreciated.

Well hopefuly your lack of responses has been due to the holidays. I do see you posed on christmas eve and now its the day after. Many people probably did not even get on the net yesterday.

While I have never used nor seen one in person I would have to guess that you would first need to mount the reflector in your canopy (it should be just a very shiney bit of metal) adn then mout the bulbs so that they are on top of the reflector.

Please read the first post in this thread so that you will better understand my dilema. I may have to go with a flat reflector, however I hope to use the spiders on my MH. I just dont see how I will be able to use my pc's and NO's, with the spiders mounted perpendicular. From what I understand if you dont mount them correctly they are no better than the regular reflector.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy a pair of spider parabolic reflectors with out the mogul base. I would think the mogul base would just drive the price up, and I dont need it seeings how Ive already got mogul bases. I just need the spider reflectors alone.

michealprater said:
Please read the first post in this thread so that you will better understand my dilema.

Hm, I know you did not just say that I dont read the posts when replying... :twisted:

I told you in my response that I had never seen nor used one.

Thus you need to take my reply for face value. But if your canopy is 18" wide and the reflector is 16" wide when there are no problems getting that to fit into the canopy.

The ONLY way you could get the other bulbs in there would be to mount them above / below the reflector so that the item furthest away from the water is the reflector then next closes to the water is the MH bulb and then you have your actinics.

Maybe your canopy has to be taller to accomdate all this.

I might have come across a bit of a 'smart ass' in the post above.

This is because one of my biggest forum pet peeves is when people respond to a post that they obviously only partially read. I try to read and understand each post that I reply to.

No biggie. I just thought the way you put your responce was kinda simple leading me to believe that you didnt fully grasp my senario. This is just a important question to me because I dont want to buy the equipment and not be able to do it how I invisoned it in my head. Hopefully someone can explain it to me. Im not sure if anyone on this site uses spider reflectors with their metal halides, but if they do and have other bulbs to suppliment actnic light, I would like to know how they made it work. If no one has I guess Ill do my best.

Ok, maybe I wasnt clear enough on my question so Ill try to simplify it here.

I am going to build a canopy for my 100 gallon flat back hex aquarium(the tank is 60" long, 18" wide, and 24" high). I plan on making the canopy 12" high, with one 4" cooling fan on each end. I have 2 250W metal halide lamps and 4 96w power compact lamps Im going to mount in the canopy. I would like to added two 48" NO actnic bulbs for cosmetics. I would really like to use Spider light parabolic reflectors on the Metal Halides. Does any one have any suggestions on how to mount all of this in the canopy I am building? (remember that the spider reflectors have to be mounted perpaindicular to the length of the tank)

Im not sure if that simplified it any but it is definatly more specific. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Also, when I go to build it I will take step by step photos and post it in the DIY forum.(if it turns out right of course)

Hi there,

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but we have a 180g with 3 x 250w MH's using Spider Reflectors, and we also use 4 x 6' VHO bulbs. This picture gives you an idea of how the VHO's are mounted:

lights1.jpg

In that picture, only 2 of the VHO's are mounted, but there are actually two on each side.

Hope that helps!

michealprater, I'd have to say that reeflady's pic hit the nail on the head. Excellent example.
By the way, is that a harley shirt in the background? Another reef keeper/biker? What a goofy set of hobby's you have there 8)

By goofy I meant the reef/bike combo. I took a little flack when I let on that I like bikes and reefs. Some folks had a hard time picturing a long haired, leather clad, reef tank geek.
:roll:

I just visited your webpage......WOW!
What an awesome setup. You guys have really taken the time to plan this thing out. You have the ultimate setup. I dream of having a setup like that, really really nice. You have to be proud. Don is extremely talented.

Mark

Yes that pic helps to explain what I was trying to describe in my posts. using stilts to put the florecent bulbs above the spider reflectors you can get both MH and florecent.

Well, I think Im going to scrap the idea of adding the NO bulbs. Seeing how room is a problem, Ill probably use what I already own(two 250w MH and four 96w PC). I might just add all actnic lights on the PC.

By goofy I meant the reef/bike combo. I took a little flack when I let on that I like bikes and reefs.

I hear ya - my husband gets the same thing. "Those are really pretty flowers in that tank!" <cringe> He passes off the pretty/geek stuff to me, and does all the "other" stuff...DIY and such. Goes with his mechanical nature, I guess.

Well, I think Im going to scrap the idea of adding the NO bulbs

I think you'll have plenty of light (and a nice combo of bulbs) with what you have. For the VHO's, we're using 3 x Actinic 03's, and 1 x Actinic 50/50. This seems to produce a nice overall crisp white light.

Just a thought - keep in mind that however you decide to get those PC's in there, that they shouldn't be directly under the MH's.

HTH!

I'm not sure of the reasoning for mounting the bulbs & reflectors perpendicular unless you were doing a 3 or more bulb set up. I have not taken the time to read the entire review but I know how I was able to get all of it into 1 hood. I have (2) 175 MH and (2) NO 40 watt actinics all in a light box that is 11" X 5" X 48" with reflectors.

What I did was buy a Spectral Aluminum flat reflector 36" X 12". By just pressing the flat reflector into the narrower space it created a nice consistent arc edge to edge. The reflector comes down the side wall about 2/3 of the way and that leaves enough space for the actincs to run next to the MH's. I know I don't have the data that Spider does but I would think that the consistent arc is a just as good if not better and of course it is better then flat.

As for the 180 gallon reef.... WOW... beautiful set-up.... very nice cabinet work.

I'm not sure of the reasoning for mounting the bulbs & reflectors perpendicular unless you were doing a 3 or more bulb set up.

Mounting the bulbs perpindicular contains more light in the tank. If it is mounted parallel, you have a tremendouse amount of light escape through the front and back glass. (MH puts the majority of it's light out the sides rather than the front, and obviously none out of the back) Spider reflectors take this into consideration in their design and work best when mounted perpindicular.

Back
Top Bottom