Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2002, 09:23 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Hi there,

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but we have a 180g with 3 x 250w MH's using Spider Reflectors, and we also use 4 x 6' VHO bulbs. This picture gives you an idea of how the VHO's are mounted:

In that picture, only 2 of the VHO's are mounted, but there are actually two on each side.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-27-2002, 02:55 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
excellent photo, I really appreciate that.

Old 12-27-2002, 05:23 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
michealprater, I'd have to say that reeflady's pic hit the nail on the head. Excellent example.
By the way, is that a harley shirt in the background? Another reef keeper/biker? What a goofy set of hobby's you have there 8)
Old 12-27-2002, 05:29 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
By the way, is that a harley shirt in the background? Another reef keeper/biker? What a goofy set of hobby's you have there
Ha - yep! If it tells the tale, our site 'name' for the 180g tank is: http://home.attbi.com/~76fxe

I'm not so sure though, that I'd label them *goofy* - maybe more *pricey*.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:30 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
By goofy I meant the reef/bike combo. I took a little flack when I let on that I like bikes and reefs. Some folks had a hard time picturing a long haired, leather clad, reef tank geek.

I just visited your webpage......WOW!
What an awesome setup. You guys have really taken the time to plan this thing out. You have the ultimate setup. I dream of having a setup like that, really really nice. You have to be proud. Don is extremely talented.

Mark
Old 12-27-2002, 11:28 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes that pic helps to explain what I was trying to describe in my posts. using stilts to put the florecent bulbs above the spider reflectors you can get both MH and florecent.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 11:59 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Well, I think Im going to scrap the idea of adding the NO bulbs. Seeing how room is a problem, Ill probably use what I already own(two 250w MH and four 96w PC). I might just add all actnic lights on the PC.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:30 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
By goofy I meant the reef/bike combo. I took a little flack when I let on that I like bikes and reefs.
I hear ya - my husband gets the same thing. "Those are really pretty flowers in that tank!" <cringe> He passes off the pretty/geek stuff to me, and does all the "other" stuff...DIY and such. Goes with his mechanical nature, I guess.

Quote:
Well, I think Im going to scrap the idea of adding the NO bulbs
I think you'll have plenty of light (and a nice combo of bulbs) with what you have. For the VHO's, we're using 3 x Actinic 03's, and 1 x Actinic 50/50. This seems to produce a nice overall crisp white light.

Just a thought - keep in mind that however you decide to get those PC's in there, that they shouldn't be directly under the MH's.

HTH!
Old 01-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not sure of the reasoning for mounting the bulbs & reflectors perpendicular unless you were doing a 3 or more bulb set up. I have not taken the time to read the entire review but I know how I was able to get all of it into 1 hood. I have (2) 175 MH and (2) NO 40 watt actinics all in a light box that is 11" X 5" X 48" with reflectors.

What I did was buy a Spectral Aluminum flat reflector 36" X 12". By just pressing the flat reflector into the narrower space it created a nice consistent arc edge to edge. The reflector comes down the side wall about 2/3 of the way and that leaves enough space for the actincs to run next to the MH's. I know I don't have the data that Spider does but I would think that the consistent arc is a just as good if not better and of course it is better then flat.

As for the 180 gallon reef.... WOW... beautiful set-up.... very nice cabinet work.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not sure of the reasoning for mounting the bulbs & reflectors perpendicular unless you were doing a 3 or more bulb set up.
Mounting the bulbs perpindicular contains more light in the tank. If it is mounted parallel, you have a tremendouse amount of light escape through the front and back glass. (MH puts the majority of it's light out the sides rather than the front, and obviously none out of the back) Spider reflectors take this into consideration in their design and work best when mounted perpindicular.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com