Sponge Filters on SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm doing all my research on SW before I get my tank [ Since the tank I was going to get off eBay fell through, I have more time to research :) ]

I was thinking about running two Hydro-Sponge 3 Filters - for aquariums up to 40 gallons, powered by two Pengiun 1140.

The new tank is going to be around 30-40gal in size. A little overkill, but you can never go overkill on filtration, right?

I'm getting some lighting from Salt4us to put on the tank, and I was going to go with a DSB and about 40lbs of Live Rock [ dependong on how much will fit. ]

Does this sound like a solid start for the beginings of a SW tank?

I was going to go with a DSB and about 40lbs of Live Rock

I think your money would be better spent on a skimmer, the rock and sand will be plenty for nitrification and denitrification.

Agreed...get an Aqua C Remora skimmer with a MJ1200 pump and a surface skimmer. Also, I wouldn't use the Penguin powerheads. They won't last as long as Maxi Jets and, IMO, are way overpriced. I'd try to add at least 1 1/2 lbs per gallon of LR if I could. The sponge filters will likely cause you to have nitrate issues.

Back
Top Bottom