Sponge takeover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChazYork

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not sure if i'm having a problem or not? I have a few species of sponge that have come on my LR, however, the one seems to be growing at a supersonic rate. I've noticed that the sponge has grown my LR together forming a wall, also the sponge has made a 3 inch ledge below one of my LR platform/overhangs.... can sponge reach plague proportions? any type of fish or invert that can widdle it down for me? suggestions please :) TIA

img_667131_0_cf02e7b6724492f14d654b6cddbd579a.jpg

You can see the yellow sponge in the background. A half a year ago that was a small piece you could barely see. Now look at it . It has filled that hole up and is about 3 inches long. They are good filter feeders for your tank.

Not sure. But I've the same problem.

Last I counted I now have about 5 LR populated with the yellow sponge that was on one to start with.

From what I have heard this is a GOOD thing to have. Apparently you can accidently kill it off (Or on purpose) by bringing it out of water for a short period. IE: AIR is very nasty to this.

dscount said:
From what I have heard this is a GOOD thing to have. Apparently you can accidently kill it off (Or on purpose) by bringing it out of water for a short period. IE: AIR is very nasty to this.
You heard right, as air contact with most sponges will kill them.

Back
Top Bottom