Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sponges for ph - what kind of sponge?

I'd like to get a couple of sponges for the ph on my MaxiJet 900. I've done some looking around, and the cost for these sponges seems outrageous, like $6 for a pair. Not that I can't afford a measly $6, but they are just sponges, aren't they? And then add $5-6 for s/h (I can't find these things at lfs). Anyone us any off-the-shelf sponge material from hardware stores or whatever successfully?

I looked at some sponges at a local Wal-mart, and they were clearly marked "Not for aquarium use" or something like that - perhaps because some of them contain chemical compounds to reduce the growth of germs.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

in general most people here would say ditch the sponge idea since it will be a nice nitrate producting factory later on for you. I have removed the sponges that came with my power heads and let them run without them.

3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: Sponges for ph - what kind of sponge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycat
I looked at some sponges at a local Wal-mart, and they were clearly marked "Not for aquarium use" or something like that - perhaps because some of them contain chemical compounds to reduce the growth of germs.
Actually most contain fungacides or chems to reduce the instances of mildew. Whatever you decide on, be sure they are aquarium safe.

As far as the need for the sponges, it will primarily depend on what's kept in the tank that could possibley fall prey to it's impeller. Typically small weaker fish, anemones, nudibrancs and the like.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
jmc
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you don't consider to take Iziarek's advice (which has merit) you can go to Petco and buy "AquaClear" filter insert foam and cut it into smaller pieces which you can fashion as a PH intake filter by making some internal slits in it with an exacto knife. Just slide it over the intake. I paid $1.29 for the 10-30 gal size package and cut it to make 4 filters for my PH. That's about as cheap as I could do it.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc
If you don't consider to take Iziarek's advice (which has merit) you can go to Petco and buy "AquaClear" filter insert foam and cut it into smaller pieces which you can fashion as a PH intake filter by making some internal slits in it with an exacto knife. Just slide it over the intake. I paid $1.29 for the 10-30 gal size package and cut it to make 4 filters for my PH. That's about as cheap as I could do it.
Perfect! That's what I was looking for...I'll see if I can find a somewhat local Petco... and by the way the reason I'm looking for a foam surround is that I have a new little tiny blue tang who already got caught on the intake for a HOB filter that I had in my qt. Was very nervous about having him attached to the intake of my phs.

Thanks!

Tags
sponge, sponges

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com