Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
Fish R friends, not food!

Spoonman's new 120 reef build thread!

Well, its been a while since I have done anything new. This year has been a tough one so far, so I need a distraction. I found a great deal on this tank on craigslist so I decided it was time. I bought the tank (I think leemar) 120G 48X24X24 with stand and canopy with t8 lights for $300. I will be using the 2 LED panels from the 75 for lighting. The tank had scratches on the outside on the left side. I painted that side and the back since it is going to be in a corner anyway. I bought the sump (40 breeder) at the petco $1 a gallon sale for $40. Got the MAG12 return pump for $100 and the Bubble Magus C7 skimmer for $200. So, $640 invested so far. I am going to combine the 75 and 29 reef tanks into one and sell them. I will be able to setup and cycle the 120 before I have to move the other 2, so that will make it easier. Set it up, cycle it and then move the coral and fish. The 75 has a pair of clowns, tomini tang, a chromis, melonarus wrasse, coral beauty and a mandarin. The 29 has a pygmy angel and a clown. They will go back to the LFS since neither will be good with whats in the 75. I think I might add a yellow tang or foxface to add some yellow to the tank when I make the final move. Pics to prove that its true::::

Tank and stand:

Skimmer:

MAG12 Return pump:

What do you think? I think I did pretty good and can't wait to get this thing started!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Man, that's a great craigslist find.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Do you think this is a leemar tank? I just guessed from the construction of the top.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No clue myself on Leemar but nice tank!
Can't wait to see it get running and this build thread.
I run a mag 18 in my 120 with 2 overflows.
Have you checked out DC pumps?
Old 05-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #5

I have set it up and ran it with just water and the MAG12 handles whatever the 2" drain can fill the sump. I have the output y'ed off to two returns and I actually have to throttle back the mag12 so that the return can keep up. It is working great.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

Ordering 50lbs of Marcos Rock today or tomorrow for $109. Should I request certain sizes or take what I get and break it up if I have to? I am going for kind of a pile of rock on the left side with some on the right. Want to have plenty of sandbed space for corals or clams. Anyone know of a better rock or a better deal? I have about 50lbs of live rock that I'm going to use from the 75, so I will have about 100lbs total plus a bunch of rubble in the sump.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Ordering 50lbs of Marcos Rock today or tomorrow for $109. Should I request certain sizes or take what I get and break it up if I have to? I am going for kind of a pile of rock on the left side with some on the right. Want to have plenty of sandbed space for corals or clams. Anyone know of a better rock or a better deal? I have about 50lbs of live rock that I'm going to use from the 75, so I will have about 100lbs total plus a bunch of rubble in the sump.
Nice looking tank! Great find. I would request large pieces that way you don't get a big of small chunks. You can always break then with a hammer and chisel if needed.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where did you find a BM C7 for $200? That's $100 cheaper then everywhere I look.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

I will look up the e-bay seller when I get home from work. He had the NAC-6 advertised and then didn't have it in stock, so he gave me the 7 for the same price. I will look it up and post it later today....
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I will look up the e-bay seller when I get home from work. He had the NAC-6 advertised and then didn't have it in stock, so he gave me the 7 for the same price. I will look it up and post it later today....
Nice! Can't beat that!

Tags
build, build thread, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com