Spoonman's new 120 reef build thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, its been a while since I have done anything new. This year has been a tough one so far, so I need a distraction. I found a great deal on this tank on craigslist so I decided it was time. I bought the tank (I think leemar) 120G 48X24X24 with stand and canopy with t8 lights for $300. I will be using the 2 LED panels from the 75 for lighting. The tank had scratches on the outside on the left side. I painted that side and the back since it is going to be in a corner anyway. I bought the sump (40 breeder) at the petco $1 a gallon sale for $40. Got the MAG12 return pump for $100 and the Bubble Magus C7 skimmer for $200. So, $640 invested so far. I am going to combine the 75 and 29 reef tanks into one and sell them. I will be able to setup and cycle the 120 before I have to move the other 2, so that will make it easier. Set it up, cycle it and then move the coral and fish. The 75 has a pair of clowns, tomini tang, a chromis, melonarus wrasse, coral beauty and a mandarin. The 29 has a pygmy angel and a clown. They will go back to the LFS since neither will be good with whats in the 75. I think I might add a yellow tang or foxface to add some yellow to the tank when I make the final move. Pics to prove that its true::::

Tank and stand:

Skimmer:

MAG12 Return pump:

What do you think? I think I did pretty good and can't wait to get this thing started!:popcorn:

Last edited:
No clue myself on Leemar but nice tank!
Can't wait to see it get running and this build thread.
I run a mag 18 in my 120 with 2 overflows.
Have you checked out DC pumps?

I have set it up and ran it with just water and the MAG12 handles whatever the 2" drain can fill the sump. I have the output y'ed off to two returns and I actually have to throttle back the mag12 so that the return can keep up. It is working great.

Ordering 50lbs of Marcos Rock today or tomorrow for $109. Should I request certain sizes or take what I get and break it up if I have to? I am going for kind of a pile of rock on the left side with some on the right. Want to have plenty of sandbed space for corals or clams. Anyone know of a better rock or a better deal? I have about 50lbs of live rock that I'm going to use from the 75, so I will have about 100lbs total plus a bunch of rubble in the sump.

Ordering 50lbs of Marcos Rock today or tomorrow for $109. Should I request certain sizes or take what I get and break it up if I have to? I am going for kind of a pile of rock on the left side with some on the right. Want to have plenty of sandbed space for corals or clams. Anyone know of a better rock or a better deal? I have about 50lbs of live rock that I'm going to use from the 75, so I will have about 100lbs total plus a bunch of rubble in the sump.

Nice looking tank! Great find. I would request large pieces that way you don't get a big of small chunks. You can always break then with a hammer and chisel if needed.

Where did you find a BM C7 for $200? That's $100 cheaper then everywhere I look.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will look up the e-bay seller when I get home from work. He had the NAC-6 advertised and then didn't have it in stock, so he gave me the 7 for the same price. I will look it up and post it later today....

I will look up the e-bay seller when I get home from work. He had the NAC-6 advertised and then didn't have it in stock, so he gave me the 7 for the same price. I will look it up and post it later today....

Nice! Can't beat that! :)

In the house now and filled with water! All dry rock and dry rock rubble in the sump. Reefkeeper on and seems to be working flawlessly! Am not running anything but return pump and powerheads. Going to add ammonia tonight to start the cycle and we are off! Opinions and thoughts are welcome. Will post pics when I get home from work this afternoon!

So, here it is! Water in at 1.026 salinity, 130 pounds of Marcosrocks dry rock, Carbon and GFO reactor, Reefkeeper Lite Plus controller, Mag-12 return pump, Bubble Magus skimmer. Just dosed to 4ppm ammonia and now the wait begins. Building rail to hold my LED lights inside the canopy. I am only running the powerheads and return pump until the cycle is complete. What do you think of the setup, rockwork...etc? Hope you all like it. I'm pretty happy!

I really do hate the waiting part! Oh well, I wanna do it right......

The waiting game is the WORST but trust me it is SO worth it to do everything right in this hobby. For the sake of our fishy friends. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom